Sign in to follow this  
bundyloco

1T vs. 2T (2 sticks vs. 4 sticks) Performance

Hey everyone, great site here, this was actually the clincher that made me go with the DFI board.

I'm building the PC in my signature and had a couple of questions. I read the thread about dividers and performance and was very interested. I was wondering what the performance hit is with 2GB (4x512) vs. (2x1gb). I was reading the mobo manual and it said that you have to run at 2T if you are going to run 4x512. I was wondering if this will affect performance that much. If so, I might be exchanging my ram for 2 stick kit.

Also, is the ram I have a good choice for my processor?

Thanks in advance!

I took a hit when I went from 1gig (2x512) to 2gig (4x512). Lost around 100 3dmarks (05). Still trying to get them back, but doesn't look promising. I guess for benchmarking I'll just take out the other 2 sticks!.

Paul

Thanks for the heads up on the PSU. If I run into trouble, I will return it, at this point, I'm giong to move ahead. It's not that I don't believe you, but I want to get working on this, I'm tired of waiting on parts. Am I stupid? Or just noob? I'm going to look into this more though before I actually hook it up to anything.

hmmm, 100 points in 3d mark huh? What does that mean for gaming and running other applications. I plan on playing BF2 on this PC. Also, when I use it for day to day applications, I will have numerous programs running.

Thanks so far guys.

I took a hit when I went from 1gig (2x512) to 2gig (4x512). Lost around 100 3dmarks (05). Still trying to get them back, but doesn't look promising.

Are your 3dmark results that consistent or are you talking averages? I've run it five or six times and seen scores anywhere from the high 5800s up to 6029 (the only time I've ever broken 6000). Same everything every time. Just curious.

Anyway, bundy, I'd just go ahead and get the 2x1 unless you're planning on overclocking, because you'll have more luck overclocking 4x512. What's 100 points when your talking almost 9000 points in 3dmark05 anyway...

That's kind of what I was thinking...that unless I was trying to set a record score in the 3dmarks, then it would make a difference. I've already ordered the 4x512, so I'll probably stay with them. I would like to overclock eventually. I've been doing some research and it looks like the 3800 x2 will overclock to 2.4Ghz pretty easily on air. I have an XP-90 to keep it cool.

Now I'm worried about the PSU with this board hmmmm...

If you want top numbers in 3d mark you would want 200mb memory but you would never want that on a computer you use. that is one of many reasons benchmarks are a joke thouhg they can help diagnose problems. 100 points is not exatly significant either.

In theory the 4x512 should go faster overall, timings and bandwidth combined.

One thing to work on optimizing it is to figure out which of the sticks is best and which is worst and keeping the better sticks in the slots farest away from the CPU.

Another thing to test is to first see what the farest slot can do so that you know the limitations of each slot individually and each RAM module individually. Then insert the weaker modules into the nearer slot and start from an estimate based on that per-slot test.

hmmm, 100 points in 3d mark huh? What does that mean for gaming and running other applications. I plan on playing BF2 on this PC. Also, when I use it for day to day applications, I will have numerous programs running.

I've got BF2 running on mine at 1280x1024 with everything on high, except lighting on medium, and it runs beautifully. So, with a 7800, you'll have no problems running maxed on everything. Happy gaming.

Sign in to follow this