Sign in to follow this  
Booster

Thermalright SI-120

Hey guys, another question or actually a request. It looks like the recomended heatsink is the XP-90 but recently TR released the SI-120 I've been looking into it but the only thing holding me back to picking it for my next setup is how it will fit on the NF4 board.

Is there anyone that have it on their rig can get some good pictures of it mounted? And/or could you tell me if it blocks anything?

Thanks!

the only thing i can think of, is maybe your ram might be hard to switch around after you install it, but if you dont mess around with your ram. then it should be fine....

PSSSSSST get the XP-120

the xp-120 fits the dfi nf4 boards and the si-120 is a lesser qaulity version of that so i asume that it would fit. the si-120 is made to fit boards the xp-120 dosent. but if the xp-120 fits your board why would you want something else

attachment.php?attachmentid=23069

thats the xp-120

I purchased the SI-120 as I had heard of some of the space issues with the XP-120. I have the NF4 LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR board and I did run into a couple of issues.

The first one was that there are 2 capacitors extremely close to the motherboard attachment for the heatsink. Not only are they very close, they block the hole for the heat sink clip slightly. I think I can fit it in without too many problems, but it does concern me having them that close.

The second issue is that it certainly feels that there will be a LOT of pressure on the chip once I secure the heatsink to the board. At this point I haven't locked in the clips because I was trying to find out for sure that the amount of pressure I was seeing is normal. I was hoping I could find someone on the forums that has the SI-120 and the nF4 SLI-DR board to see if they had any problems.

I took a couple of pictures, and I hope someone can give me an indication if the distance from the clip to the clip hole looks like it might put a lot of pressure on the chip. I know it is hard to ask, but it just seems like a LOT of pressure will be on the chip once the clips are attached.

--Dwayne

I purchased the SI-120 as I had heard of some of the space issues with the XP-120. I have the NF4 LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR board and I did run into a couple of issues.

The first one was that there are 2 capacitors extremely close to the motherboard attachment for the heatsink. Not only are they very close, they block the hole for the heat sink clip slightly. I think I can fit it in without too many problems, but it does concern me having them that close.

The second issue is that it certainly feels that there will be a LOT of pressure on the chip once I secure the heatsink to the board. At this point I haven't locked in the clips because I was trying to find out for sure that the amount of pressure I was seeing is normal. I was hoping I could find someone on the forums that has the SI-120 and the nF4 SLI-DR board to see if they had any problems.

I took a couple of pictures, and I hope someone can give me an indication if the distance from the clip to the clip hole looks like it might put a lot of pressure on the chip. I know it is hard to ask, but it just seems like a LOT of pressure will be on the chip once the clips are attached.

--Dwayne

You could just turn the heatsink around so the heat pipes are facing your DIMM slots if you're that worried about it.

As for the pressure, make sure you mounted the K8 retention bracket correctly.

If you did then you should have no worries...

--Dwayne

If you mounted the K8 retention bracket correctly you won't have any problems.

I installed an SI-120 for a friend (who has an SLI-DR) and it fit perfectly, don't worry about a thing.

The XP-90 is still my #1 recommendation, the XP-120 would be my #2, but fitting it is much harder. ;)

Can I ask if you have an opinion on the Zalman 9500?

In my part of the world it is cheaper than either of the above...

the si-120 is a lesser qaulity version

The SI is actually a re-engineered design of the XP-120, created mainly to address the installation problems with certain motherboards that the XP had. It's basically a 'New and Improved' model, not a 'lesser quality version'. They both have equally great performance.

Can I ask if you have an opinion on the Zalman 9500?

In my part of the world it is cheaper than either of the above...

I've never used one, but the reviews say they are great HS's. ;)

i heard the Zalman CNPS9500 is an awesome cooler but expensive. It's supposed to be around the same performance as the xp-120. Still like to see it in some pics and actual specs. I'd like to get on for my SLI-DR :P

Sign in to follow this