Sign in to follow this  
Thasp

Can 100+ cfm panaflos be made quiet?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835180019

Can I run these at 5-7 volts instead of their stock voltage and have them be quiet? Or will they only run at high voltages?

I want to buy a fan controller. The fans I have now can run quiet with . airflow and louder with nice (55-60 cfm) airflow.

I would like to have the option to run quiet with crappy airflow, and loud with awesome(100+ cfm) airflow.

Is this possible with those fans? I'd like to have them blaring and fast when I am running OCed by a lot while doing encodes, etc, and running slow and quiet when I listen to music on the hi-fi from the PC.

Thanks. :)

You should have no problems using a fan controller. It would probably be better than just cutting the voltage since you will have a finer control over the speed and noise with a variable speed controller.

Even with a fan controller, you want to check the smallest voltage that it can drive the fans. At 5V those 130cfm fans are still loud, so you want something a controller with very small voltages like 3-4 volts.

edit: for these high cfm fans i found it was best to plug them in the mobo and control them by software to get the best control over speed/noise. The lower cfm fans can be put on a fan controller no problem there

edit: for these high cfm fans i found it was best to plug them in the mobo and control them by software to get the best control over speed/noise. The lower cfm fans can be put on a fan controller no problem there
0.52A x 12V = 6.24watts on a fan header to a total max of 2.1 amps on all headers is 25.2 watts total for all fan headers.

RGone...

Be very careful! :sweat:

Why not get the medium or low speed version of that fan?

So I have the option to go higher - I already have medium to low speed fans.

I guess I'll just keep the fans I have now and get the zalman fan controller, since I have more control over the voltage(5-12 vs 7-12 with the vantec). Plus the extension cords with the zalman are required.

Thanks! :)

I have 3 120MM panaflos in my Lian Li with a vantec nexus fan controller and when i turn them all the way down you can barely hear them.

very true^

they are nearly "silent" when using a Nexus fan controller, and the speed is set to lowest.

i love how they move so much air, with not a hand and a half full of noise.

1101']one thing, these Panaflo fans don't have sensors in them, so controlling it through the mobo is no good.

If you buy the three lead versions they do. You can actually pull out the two lead on these fans and plug in a 3 wire for tach output.

Some FYI

On this fan from newegg noted in previous link costs about 4.25 ea.

Also Panasonic fans are no longer made by Panasonic. They sold out to NMB Technologies. They are in a 60-NMB/40-PAN deal. They basically had no biz other than Lexmark

NMB sells to the big guys Dell HP ETC... http://nmbtech.com/index_f.html

I actually buy fan lines as part of my job. One thing I know is that the Hydro wave technology does give you low noise but nothing beat ball bearing fans for long life dependency. I will let you know I get more Ra’s for Sleeve bearing and hydro wave than the few for ball bearing units.

Just my two cents