X2 4800+ OC problems

MysticRyuujin

I've been trying to OC my 4800+ for a few days and I've run into some problems. I've set the ram ratio to 100 so it wouldn't effect my CPU clocking and the LDT to 2x so it wouldn't get in the way eiher. I'm also using a Koolance liquid cooling system. (PC3-739)

First: No matter what voltage I put to the CPU I can't go over ~233mhz HTT (2.73ghz :mad: ), Anything under about 1.5v wont even load past the "Backing up BIOS" unless I lower the Multi. I've read all kinds of reviews of the 4800+ going to 3ghz and that seems impossible for me...a 233mhz HHT at 1.52volts works like a charm but 234mhz on any volts and it wont make 1min on two Prime95's or two SuperPI's

Second: Not really a problem but I'd like an explanation: If I went too high on the HTT (250-240) I could still boot to a BSOD if the CPU VID was at 1.55 and the VID Special at anything other than auto, but if I went to 1.525 or 1.5 it wouldn't even get to the "Backing up BIOS" part, even though voltage was in the same range.

(1.7515volts - 1.612volts would work on 1.55 but 1.695volts on 1.5+113% would not)

I'd like to point out that over 1.6volts and the temp on my CPU skyrockets to 55c vs the 45c I run at 233mhz/1.52 volts...is that hot? I think even 45c seems hot for a liquid cooled system, room temp is 25c (77f)

Im having a problem getting my 4200+ over anything higher then 245, so Im kinda in the same boat as you :( it will do about the same thing as you, but it will BSOD right when the windows loading screen comes up instead of the backing up bios. The couple of times that I DO get into windows at 250 it BOSDs when I try Prime95 it crashes in about a min..... I dont know how to get around this either... Im thinking maybe we have to put the HTT multiplyer down from 4x to 3x?

try a lower mulitplier guys

my 4400+ refused to clock at all core1 (core 0 was fine) at any voltage using the auto setting i.e. multi x11 Prime would fail on second core within 2 mins

Set it to x10 and upped the FSB - currentl priming for 30mins no probs @ 240x10 instead of 220x11 :) - looking good......

I've read all kinds of reviews of the 4800+ going to 3ghz and that seems impossible for me...a 233mhz HHT at 1.52volts works like a charm but 234mhz on any volts and it wont make 1min on two Prime95's or two SuperPI's

Second: Not really a problem but I'd like an explanation: If I went too high on the HTT (250-240) I could still boot to a BSOD if the CPU VID was at 1.55 and the VID Special at anything other than auto, but if I went to 1.525 or 1.5 it wouldn't even get to the "Backing up BIOS" part, even though voltage was in the same range.

(1.7515volts - 1.612volts would work on 1.55 but 1.695volts on 1.5+113% would not)

I'd like to point out that over 1.6volts and the temp on my CPU skyrockets to 55c vs the 45c I run at 233mhz/1.52 volts...is that hot? I think even 45c seems hot for a liquid cooled system, room temp is 25c (77f)

A STABLE 3GHZ on the processor ? WITH VAPOCHILL SUBZERO COOLING MAYBE !! Remember there isn't that much headroom left at the top of the line. Your speed is what you can expect with good case and processor cooling. Concentrate on upping your processor speed if anything since increasing memory and HTT speeds won't really buy you anything except on strutting benchmarks. However, at the same time you must try to keep your core voltages down else you will increase core temperatures which destabilizes. It's a balancing act ...

Slightly unrelated question, but would OCing an X2 3800+ to 2.4 or 2.5 Ghz require more volts than a 4800+ at 2.4 or 2.5 Ghz? Also, is the stock voltage of the 4800+ higher than that of a 3800+?

The 4800+ is already running at 2.4ghz, so it should hit 2.5ghz with relative ease.

My 3800+ would do 2.4ghz at around 1.42volts, but needs 1.52volts for operating at 2.7ghz which is where i am now. Moving up to 1.55volts doesn't do much of anything it seems apart from increase the temperature a bit.

Well I tried a lower multi and a higher HTT but that was no good either, It looks like I'm maxed out at [email protected] (55c max)...I was able to prime on it all night (roughly 10 hours or so) at that speed, anything higher and prime crashes in seconds of opening the second instance.

I've read that memory underclocking tends to lead to a lot of problems, could the fact that I have it underclocked be causing this? I have it set on the lowest setting for my CPU testing, but if that's causing problems maybe I should change it??

And Musabi, that wont work either, all my testing I'm running it at 2x just to be sure...

Well I tried a lower multi and a higher HTT but that was no good either, It looks like I'm maxed out at [email protected] (55c max)...I was able to prime on it all night (roughly 10 hours or so) at that speed, anything higher and prime crashes in seconds of opening the second instance.

I've read that memory underclocking tends to lead to a lot of problems, could the fact that I have it underclocked be causing this? I have it set on the lowest setting for my CPU testing, but if that's causing problems maybe I should change it??

And Musabi, that wont work either, all my testing I'm running it at 2x just to be sure...

Just experiment with different settings, keep an eye on the speeds and make sure you don't push anything too much i.e. don't just from 220mhz fsb to 260mhz fsb in a single bounce, gradually. Start moving the memory up and seeing if you get anymore stability. Go back to 200mhz 1/1 memory ratio and start increasing the fsb again by 5mhz increments and running memtest all the way through and see how high you can push it.

Also, set your hht multiplayer to 3 or 4, as that will be absolutely fine and 4 x 234 isn't pushing the hht in anyway at all.

Just experiment with different settings, keep an eye on the speeds and make sure you don't push anything too much i.e. don't just from 220mhz fsb to 260mhz fsb in a single bounce, gradually. Start moving the memory up and seeing if you get anymore stability. Go back to 200mhz 1/1 memory ratio and start increasing the fsb again by 5mhz increments and running memtest all the way through and see how high you can push it.

Also, set your hht multiplayer to 3 or 4, as that will be absolutely fine and 4 x 234 isn't pushing the hht in anyway at all.

Well, that's what I just tried today :) It doesn't make any differance at all, though I have been getting some instability at my settings, but I increased the ram voltage and it seems to be a lot better (Prime with all 3 bench on both cores has only shown one error so far) I'm afraid to push the ram any higher in voltage though, it's already at 3volts, (2 TWINX1024-3200XLPRO's) they say 2.75 is what they should run at stock...not sure what is safe, going to search for it right now.

my corsair 3200xlpro needs 2.9v on this motherboard to be stable at just 400mhz-2-2-2-5!

on me older MSI K8 Diamond - 2.8 was more than enough!

currently running 250x10 @ 1.39v memory @2.9v

one guy managed to get his corsair (same as mine) upto 245mhz 2-2-2-5 @ 3.1V!!!! - i'd never try that as memory fans are a must.....

I would be happy with that. The highest stable (prime95 standard) OC I have so far on my X2 4600+ is [email protected] with a x4 HTT and a 9/10 memory multiplier. Though if SuperPI 32MB runs at a higher setting, that's good enough for my CAD program ...

I think my settings are maxed out for prime95 but I am going to try yours ... probably again ... :D