Sign in to follow this  
Katch

Bios 8/24

Just thought I'd kick off a thread specifically for the new BIOS as the other 2 threads are difficult at best to extract information from.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/bio..._FLAG=A&SITE=UK

The latest official BIOS for our Ultra-Ds

Not had time to flash yet but will let you know my experiences as soon as I do.

Please let the rest of us know your experiences if you are testing this new official release.

Reports on the other thread still say the htt set to 216 bug is still there, and my venice didnt like the 8/15 beta so I'm gonna hold out on this one until I hear some positive results from venice users. And Jesus 8/24? that was a month ago. I sure hope DFI has it right this time.

is really suck on this 824.

there are many new setting which is not available in 711.

but i cant run my system stable at all.

alway get blue screen when oc.

cant even run 2.5.3.3.7 at 1t 250htt.

i can run this setting on 711.

i think the engineer is paid for giving us trouble.....

1 more terrible thing to tell:

the awdflash attach in 824 is B version.

so after the terrible experience in 824, i decided to flash back to 711.

but the flash stuck at the begining.

is like damn SUCK lol.

u must use back the A version awdflash to flash back to 711.

no buddy tell u this.

so i really get mad.

so i tell myself not to becoming those engineer in my future.

cos sure get F**K.

so pls bkful in this 824.

This is really terrible. This bios sucks just like the 815 Beta. I don't see the reason why DFI would give us this bios? It's crap.

I'll continue using the 711 Bios. This works somewhat good for my system. At least it let me run 270MHz CAS 2.5-3-3-10-1t in Dual mode with my 2 X 512MB Corsair XL (TCCD) Memory.

Currently writing this from 824 BIOS. I think the BSOD/no boot problems might be related to Vcore undervolting. My board and chip combo have required a lot of juice from the get go. In 711, I run my Vcore at 1.450 + 0.6, which reads 1.83 in BIOS. This corresponds to a multimeter reading of 1.7, which allows me to achieve 10+ hour prime stable 299x9. Idle temps are 36C, load 43C (maybe 45C, I forget).

After flashing to 824, I naturally cooked the Vcore up. I applied a mild overclock and was able to boot into Windows. Increased to 250x9 and failed to post (long beeps). Cleared CMOS, upped BIOS Vcore to max 1.85, and was able to boot into Windows at 250x9. This was, however, very crashy. Backed down to 231x9 and am there now.

Multimeter at 1.85 BIOS Vcore reads 1.61. Temps are at 28C idle, 35C load. I do not normally see these temps unless at default voltage. Further, I can easily load Windows at 250x9 at 1.61 V under 711. For these reasons, I am skeptical I am even getting 1.61 volts, let alone the 1.85 I set in BIOS! The BIOS release notes at DFI say "5.Adjust HW for CPU temp." This could account for these lower observed temps, but I am more inclined to believe they are a result of significant undervolting.

This may have also been my problem when very unsuccessfully using 815 BIOS.

I don't think I'll get more out of my CPU with this one. I am going to play with my memory for a bit. Will report back if I get any interesting results

Guest Tim

216 bug is still there...

Mr. DFI engineer, if you are reading this...I have seen trained monkeys do better jobs....get another job because you SUCK.

I have big problems with the 824 bios. Could'nt get into windows once!!!

Why have they changed the max ram volt to 3,1 instead of 3,2 like the old 705 and 711??

And every time I did an adjustment at the cpu vid control, I did'nt even get into bios, and had to reset cmos.

The old bios got a cpu volt adjustment, but not the 824, why? How do I change cpu voltage then???

I'm back to the 705 bios, at least I can boot with it. I was just hoping that the new bios could fix some ram issues.

This bios is worse than ever

If anyone got any ideas how I can get cpu volt up with the cpu vid controll, please tell me. I nedd at least 1,6 v.

Thanks

ekjr, were you trying to boot at stock or at an oc?

I found last night (back to 711 now) that upon a second reboot after a CMOS clear, the FSB would set itself to 216 (much like how my 711 BIOS sets itself to 269 after a clear). So to have any chance of posting again after an initial BIOS post, you likely need to be using settings that can handle 216x9 with great ease. My guess is that neither your memory nor your CPU were configured to handle the jolt up to 216. When I took that into account, I was able to post at will and adjust at will. Everything saved fine, even going higher than 216.

If you want to give booting into Windows another go, I would suggest ultra-relaxed memory settings, such as 166 divider and 2T. I haven't used BH-5, so I don't know what timings are super safe; 3-4-4-8 would do it with TCCD. I would also suggest bumpnig your Vcore up as far as you possibly can while still feeling comfortable. As noted above, my rig ran at Vcore voltages significantly lower than those reported by either BIOS or software. While I strongly believe you could safely crank it up pretty good, please know that you do so at your own risk!

Regarding memory voltage on 824: I checked the Vdimm voltage with a mulitmeter as well. It measured identically to what I read while on 711, and pretty close to what software monitors show as well. So I don't think that memory is undervolting. 3.1 max doesn't really affect TCCDer's, but sucks for BH-5, right?

I was hoping that while 824 was suck for my CPU, it might be good for memory. Not the case. Memtest froze at the end of test 8 at 260 MHz, 2.5-3-4-7 2T, which my Patriots do in their sleep with 711. That's when I flashed back.

Any success from non-Venice core users? Seemed like some people with San Diego's had good luck with 815. I would love to hear from you!!!