Sign in to follow this  
Kobain

Help me solve this cause I don't want to replace DFI with an Abit or s

My system can be seen in the signature.

When playing games (basically WoW) I got this very annoying problem :

screen freezes totally for about 40sec then returns to normal. During the freeze, it;s as if the computer has hanged completely....ctrl-alt-del does nothing, alt-tab nothing, u r basically ready to press the reset button and think that the memory is problematic or something. However 1 time I got lucky, and I didn;t press the reset button so fast, and to my surprise the game returned to normal after ~40sec... So everytime this happenned I let it for 40sec and it would always return to normal.

This thing happenns randomly, I'd say it averages once per 2 hours or something....

At the begining the screen freezes,and after 20sec the sound freezes too, and then when it ends all are back to normal (and I see in fast forward what has happenned in those 40sec because the game is online and probably the ethernet card froze too and I had lag while frozen).

This thing has been plagueing me since February. since then I have changed CPU, RAM and Video card....the only things left unchanged are the mobo and the PSU. I dont think the PSU could do something like this, if there was a problem I would get random resets or something... This leads me to believe it;s a problem of the mobo...

I have had it for 7 months now, I can;t take it anymore, I hope you can help me solve this because the board is excelent otherwise. But if I can't solve it I will change ton an Asus or Abit...

HELP PLZ!

Just before the computer returns to functionality, does the monitor turn off for a second or two? If so, we have the exact same problem. I usually see it when running Thunderbird and WMP or iTunes. I don't have a solution, but I've always assumed it was my PSU. I have a spare sitting around, but I'm too lazy to swap.

*BUMP*

the monitor always displays fine....the frozen picture....

It doesn't make much sense to be the PSU because if it is I can't explain the "come-back"....

If the PSU failed, then the CPU or RAM or something wouldnt get enough voltage which would cause them to hang and the system would show a BSOD or reset or something....

This seems to be a mono issue to me, since the mobo and PSU are the only things I haven;t changed and still got the problem

Under Administrative Tools.

See if "System" can give you an idea of what is going wrong. If there is an error or event at that time, highlight, rightclick, properties and see what ya get.

My screen would freeze (and likely would've unfroze if I had been patient) with a cheapo optical. I noticed it would happen only when I was moving the mouse. (or so I thought and I was right). Switched mouse to a ball mouse. Screen only froze for a second.

Checked event viewer. It reported an error with the mouse buffer overfowing. Followed up on the web. Changed mouse settings-read rate and buffer length. Problem solved for now on the old mouse. Gonna test the cheapo soon after uypdating my bios and a clean install to see if it happens again.

Good luck.

You need to fill in more about your system.

What version of BIOS are you on?

What video card are you using?

Are your drivers all up to date?

Are your BIOS settings all on default?

Did you test your memory when you installed it?

I have gone through 4 bioses, had a winchester 3500+, now a venice 3000+, had an MSI 6800GT, now an Asus 7800GTX, had 2x512mb UTT now 2x512mb TCCD, had a microsoft optical mouse, now a Razer Diamonddback, also had a cheapo keyboard, now a Logitech media keyboard

and I ALWAYS had this problem...

I tello you the only things unchanged are the PSU and the mobo...

I will check the event viewer next time this happens and hope to have more information for you.

That is fine, but which one are you on right now?

Also, what about the memory? Did you run memtest on it? Have you changed any of the BIOS settings? This stuff is important for us to know so we can try to help.

I am at 623-2 bios right now. The memory is tested and works fine. This problem even happens at default speeds...even underclocked....

I tell you this has nothing to do with overclocking and temps...it happens even when underclocked. my CPU is a venice it does not put out much heat and the case cas 2x12cm fans anyway...

This is either a setting in the bios that needs to be changed or the board is problematic....I hope it is the first so I can solve it, otherwise I am going for another brand. There is also a very slim chance that this is due to the PSU....but I couln'd explain how.