Smartguardian [special small design!]

Why using it or what is ITE's Smartguardian?

It's the official Environment Control of the ITE I/O chip which is intergrated at your DFI motherboard:

ITE IT8712F / EC-LPC I/O with Environment Controller:

General Description

Interface-based Super I/O devices with Environment Controller integration. IT8712F provides the most commonly used legacy Super I/O functionality plus the latest Environment Control initiatives, such as H/W Monitor, Fan Speed Controller, ITE’s “SmartGuardian” function and Smart Card Reader Interface. IT8712F meets the Microsoft PC98/99/2001 System Design Guide requirements and is ACPI and LANDesk compliant.

There are twelve logical devices integrated in IT8712F. IT8712F features the enhanced hardware monitor providing 3 thermal inputs from remote thermial resistors, or thermal diode-connected transistor (2N3094).

DFI LANParty UT nF3 250GB

Note: The same Thermal Sensors and both Chips are used on the most DFI nForce boards.

On-board Temp. sensors:

1)- CPU temp. = CPU Thermal Diode Temp. Sensor (AMD called this 'CPU Case Temp.')

2)- PWM IC temp. = Yellow Thermistor Temp.Sensor ( controlled by the ITE chip) close to the 'PWM IC' (ISL6559) chip, behind the CPU Socket.

Note: OC'r: this 'PWM IC' and the neighboring 'Mosfet' area, become very hot and need a extra Fan.

3)- SYSTEM temp. = Yellow Thermistor Temp.Sensor close at the ITE I/O with Environment Controller (IT8712F) chip at border by PCI slot 3.

Note: The ITE I/O with Environment Controller chip controlled all the above discussed 3 thermal temp. sensors.

Datasheet here: ITE General Description - IT8712F / EC-LPC I/O (PDF)

attachment.php?attachmentid=5531&d=1164651240

Briefly description and pictures from the 'Intersil PWM IC' and

the Yellow Thermistor Temp. Sensor, with ITE Smartguardian better know as PWM IC Temp.

(IC = Intergrated Circuit)

Intersil PWM Controller:

Intersil: Multi-Phase PWM Controller

The ISL6559 provides core-voltage regulation by driving 2 to 4 interleaved synchronous-rectified buck-converter channels in parallel.

Operating Conditions

Supply Voltage, VCC +5V ±5%

Ambient Temperature 0°C to 70°C

Junction Temperature 0°C to 125°C

Applications: AMD Hammer Family Processor Voltage Regulator

Datasheet here: Intersil Multiphase PWM Controller (ISL6559) (PDF)

attachment.php?attachmentid=4001&stc=1

Smartguardian Revision Confusing, :confused: WHICH !?!? :mad:

DFI Download Driver Site, Driver Details:

Revision 1.0

Driver Smart I/O Driver

OS Window XP

File: LP NF3250_XP32SG.ZIP

Size 2,199,168 bytes

Date 2006/03/16

Description ITE Smart Guardian for Windows 2K/XP(foe LP NF3 250GB)

Download here: DFI original: LP NF3250_XP32SG.ZIP = Smartguardian

OR at the same DFI Download Driver Site, Driver Details:

Revision 5.0.130.0

Driver Utility

OS All

File: Ihdoctor.zip

Size 2,199,168 bytes

Date 2004/08/30

Description Hardware Doctor Utility for IT8712H

Download here: DFI original: Ihdoctor.zip = Smartguardian

Both zip files contain Ihdoctor and are complete identical at every bit!! :rolleyes:

Modified why?: Smartguardian is sloppy created and badly supported, that's why i have modified the original Smartguardian in my own one, smaller with better proportions, names & digits in line, compensate options for real voltages - add a missing one, PSU Volt rails together, change names and add a personal logo, byword etc..

The key files: 'smart.ini' and 'logo.bmp', I have Marked the 'smart.ini' changes with comments.

So you can easy find and change the used names, locations, size etc. That helps to make it personal in a couple of minutes. (use Notepad) Example search and find 'The Mad Overclocker' or 'The OverClocker's Dream', change it in what you like etc.

Personalized Smartguardian: create your own personal 'logo.bmp'

For example: you can use a small DFI/LanParty logo part at top (most do that), but you can also replace the whole background with a picture off your choice, examples: a picture of your DFI board with integrated logo's at top, bottom or at every other place u like.

Download here: ShowCoNo" from Marián Pánik a very handy Color code tool.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5277&d=1160882748

How make it work:

Save First then replace the original Smartguardian files, located at 'Program FilesITESmart Guardian', with the attached ZIP file, contents: 'smart.ini' & 'logo.bmp' (2 files), first unzip of course.

With all of this kind Monitor software, one of the most of us concerned is the mismatch about what whe reading and the real measured voltages. You can adjust that: first get the real voltages with a digital multimeter, then you can compensate the Smartguardian 12.0V and 5.0V rails, unfortunately I have not found yet a way to compensate the 3.3 rail.

Here the Guide: Testing your PSU with a Digital Multimeter:

Part of 'smart.ini'

[Option]'Modified for DFI LanParty by 'Joop' other aliases 'JoopvtG' and 'aJ/Tg'

P5VRa=68 'original, compensate 5.0V in smal steps higher/lower to <findings> <------------ 5.0V

P5VRb=100

P12VRa=300 'original, compensate 12.0V in smal steps higher/lower to <findings> <------- 12.0V

P12VRb=100

N5VREF=4096

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Btw: the nF3 Ultra-D LDT bus is in fact about 1.20V, thats lower then the screenshot picture show,

reason I make this with the 'DFI LP UT nF3 250GB'.

Smartguardian first use: press Option and set everything to U preferences.

Accurate of my PSU, measured with a DMM (Digital Multimeter) versus Smartguardian outcome.

Without Smartguardian voltage compensate..

3.3V measured DMM = 3.37 .. 3.38 vs. Smartguardian 3.23V .. 3.24V (deviation ± 4%)

5.0V measured DMM = 5.07 .. 5.08 vs. Smartguardian 4.99V .. 5.02V (deviation ± 2%)

12.0V measured DMM = 12.05 .. 12.06 vs. Smartguardian 11.71V .. 11.77V (deviation ± 3%)

DFI LP UT nF3 250GB: CPU, Chassis, and 2nd Fan's Cooling Fan Connectors can monitor,

only the 2nd Fan can't control the fan speed with ITE Smartguardian.

(go to Option: adjust the temp. controlled speed, voltage, alarm etc. etc.)

Also monitoring and limited control in the “PC Health Status” submenu of the BIOS.

Essential is that all 3 wires from the Fan are connected to the Mobo Cooling Fan Connectors.

1=Ground

2=Power

3=Sense

Without the 1-Power and 2-Ground straight from the Mobo Cooling Fan Connector to the Fan, of course you can't control the Fan rpm speed.

Without the 3-Sense wire from the Fan straight to the Mobo Cooling Fan Connector you can't monitor the rpm speed.

Safety point: Motherboard integrated Fan connectors max. 350mA or 4.2 Watt,

otherwise use a free PSU Molex connector for powering the Fan.

If you connect from the Fan ONLY the 3-Sense wire to the Mobo Cooling Fan Connector you can monitoring the rpm speed.

See also DFI nF3 250GB Manual, Cooling Fan Connectors scheme: page #48

Screenshot examples, pictures are real size, the true colors are a little brighter!

Smartguardian [DFI nF3 special]

attachment.php?attachmentid=2938&stc=1

My Sailboat

attachment.php?attachmentid=4796&stc=1&d=1151071752

My last trial

attachment.php?attachmentid=4863&stc=1&d=1152312513

Here the: Smartguardian [DFI nF3 special] versions:

Attached ZIP file contents: 'smart.ini' & 'logo.bmp'

Last updated at 10-11-2005,

Changes:

1) DRAM x.xxV [Data field] remarks, for example: set here higher BH-5 Voltage

2) DFI nF3 Ultra-D corrections

3) Added more remarks, misc. minor changes.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic