Sign in to follow this  
Alex Dinamo

Would 460W be enough for NF4 Ultra-D (no SLI)?

Goatman you ever have a system burn out because of a bad PSU? I dont know about you but that would not only ruin my day it would ruin my week untill I replaced it. Same for fixing a stupid problem all that time you spend fixing a problem is worth mony and add that to burt out components like a 500USD video card and that extra 40 USD seems like a really really good investment.

I have fixed other people rig after a burnt out PSU to say they were frustrated is an understatemnt.

if u have 4 sata hdds, 2 7800GTXs, there is no way in the world u'd go over 350W

a 7800gtx (non-overclocked) consumes already 110Watts x2 -> 220Watts

a dual core processor, non overclocked takes -> 110watts

sata drives 17Watts each x4 -> 68Watts

high performance fans (0.9A) x3 -> 30 watts

i did not even add any rams, dvd-drive, sound card, wifi card, floppy, fan controller, mobo, etc

Therefore a fully loaded system will consume more than 350Watts.

well that's why most people buy low stuff like a64 3000+, value VX.

u mean $40 1700 axp 'in the day' or now?

in the day. Hell, I paid $40 for my 1700+ when they were prime for oc'ing and got it to 1800mhz on a $30 mobo using a $20 PSU.

God I miss those days :drool:

in the day. Hell, I paid $40 for my 1700+ when they were prime for oc'ing and got it to 1800mhz on a $30 mobo using a $20 PSU.

God I miss those days :drool:

I can sell you one if you want. Funny no one wants a 1700 cpu or a PCI video card. They still want to pay the same mony for modern gear though.

Is it stubborness, resentment, know it allism, ignorance, or what ??? I read posts about PSU's and NF4 boards at damm near every forum around. What is so hard about looking at the research and recomendations on PSU's for these DFI boards.

It's not like the A list of PSU's are all $300.00 plus PSU's, they are as low as $80.00

It's amazing the penny wise pound foolish attitude of alot of people who are bound and determined to reinvent the wheel. Even buying 2nd hand parts for my current rig

I still have a BIG CHUNK OF $$ invested in it and most of the people buying DFI NF4 boards are going to end up with alot of money invested in there rig. even a dumb butt like me, who did'nt know how to defrag a computer or install a video card 2 yrs. ago knew that taking the advise of people who have been there done that and have the wreckage to prove it, might be a good idea. I read I researched and read some more and nOOb catkicker decided yes I should get componets like PSU's and MEM. for my DFI board's that have been proven to be the right stuff. When it comes right down to it you spend your money as you see fit, if you don't want a PSU or mem that is recommended or meets the same standards as the recommended componets than why oh why do you come here and waste your time pounding keys explaining your problems, theroies or what joe King OC'er does over at kick butt, com. it boggles my mind the endless dribble I read here about PSU's and PROBLEMS. So you who intend on reinventing the wheel good luck, and quit posting your crap here or for that matter anywheres else.

It's probably a good thing that I dont have any power around here because I would'nt just close these threads I would nuke them right off the forums.

Good night

:cat:

why oh why do you come here and waste your time pounding keys explaining your problems, theroies or what joe King OC'er does over at kick butt, com. it boggles my mind the endless dribble I read here about PSU's and PROBLEMS. So you who intend on reinventing the wheel good luck, and quit posting your crap here or for that matter anywheres else.

It's probably a good thing that I dont have any power around here because I would'nt just close these threads I would nuke them right off the forums.

Good night

:cat:

I've a few things to add. First, to the poster above... A wise student listens to his experienced mentor. However, the experienced mentor is able and willing to answer the golden question: "why".

If I had to name one area where people on this forum could use a little improvement, it's the willingness to answer the question "why". The student learns nothing when you say "listen to me you f---ing n00b. Buy a high-end power supply or you'll suffer the consequences. Just do it." Some students (we who seek to learn are all students) will be satisfied with the answer. But what did you teach them? When they help their friend build a killer DFI rig and their friend says "why do I need the 520W power supply? And why doesn't the $20 520W power supply at CompUSA cut it?" then what does your student say? He says "Beats me, the guys at dfi-street said your . will blow up if you don't."

This is just not the pattern that a mentor-student relationship should follow. To those who have been around the block and here answering questions from newer users, do you not wish to be a good mentor?

Unfortunately I'm one of the really bone-headed "students" in the game of life who's skeptical of any answer that doesn't teach me "why". In fact I was annoyed with the whole "buy a 480 watt PSU or your computer will meltdown" so I bought a good quality 380 watt PSU and it worked fine. Ummm, until lastnight.

Hehe, now here's where I stop giving some constructive criticism to those arguing the "shut up and do what we say" (which not all of you are doing, in fact the "why" has now been answered in this thread to those who are looking for it) where I transition to arguing in defense of the 480 Watt PSU recommendation.

See... I started out with a Venice 3000+ and Radeon X700 Pro running with my SeaSonic S12-380. Granted I also had liquid cooling parts (high end fans on radiator, a pump, etc) as well as a SCSI controller and 15K drive in addition to my 7200RPM drive and normal system fans. So I argued a little bit the side that no one can tell me that a 480 A-List PSU is *needed*. My system was OC'd to 2700 MHz and was rock solid. And I even put it on a Kill-O-Watt meter and observed that no matter what I ran I couldn't get the PSU to draw more than 250 watts or so (which means the system was only drawing about 200 watts). Ha I said, proof that I don't *need* a 480 watt PSU.

Now since that time I succumbed to the temptations of getting better parts and I've starting gaming on my PC at times whereas I used to only ever really use it for my profession, software development.

I picked up an X2 3800+ and slapped it up 'till it ran at 2800 MHz rock solid (woot). Now mind you this was still with my SeaSonic 380W PSU. So at this point I'm still prime stable and game stable (and benchmark stable. See my post in the OCDB thread... err, no you can't because AG erased it. Grrr...)

Then I saw the killer mod you can do on the brand new GTO2 cards by Sapphire and had to have one (I'm now into gaming after all). This card takes an auxilliary power connecter so it clearly uses higher wattage. I then decide to start with AquaMark to see if its stable. And sure enough, errors out after a few minutes. Try again, errors out. Piss, not cool. Can you guess what the problem is at this point? I try rebooting and get nothing but 4 LED's boot after boot. I put back in a 6600GT card that I have on loan from a friend. Still no boot. 20 minutes later I come back and it boots with the 6600GT. Thanks goodness.

Hmmmm, I haven't slapped it on the Kill-O-Watt since upgrading to the X2-3800+. I put it on the Kill-O-Watt, run Prime95 on both cores and wham I'm drawing over 300 watts (with the 6600GTO mind you, not the GTO2). That GTO2 under Aquamark with heavy CPU usage may have been enough to push me past the abilities of my 380 Watt PSU. I may have even killed the new GTO2, who knows.

I won't know if the GTO2 survived until I get my OCZ PowerStream 520 from FedEx tomorrow. :) Yep, the student has learned from the mentor. I didn't understand "why" in the beginning so I got burnt by stubborness. When other students come along and want to understand why, let's give them real answers. Maybe they can avoid burning themselves.

even a dumb butt like me, who did'nt know how to defrag a computer or install a video card 2 yrs. ago knew that taking the advise of people who have been there done that and have the wreckage to prove it, might be a good idea. I read I researched and read some more and nOOb catkicker decided yes I should get componets like PSU's and MEM. for my DFI board's that have been proven to be the right stuff.:

I did my homework and took good advise.

the Golden question as to why has been answered over and over again in multiple threads and posts by many people. http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22072

even a dumb butt like me, who did'nt know how to defrag a computer or install a video card 2 yrs. ago knew that taking the advise of people who have been there done that and have the wreckage to prove it, might be a good idea. I read I researched and read some more and nOOb catkicker decided yes I should get componets like PSU's and MEM. for my DFI board's that have been proven to be the right stuff.:

I did my homework and took good advice.

the Golden question as to why has been anwsered over and over again in multiple threads and posts by many people. Great resource for the need to know why

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22072

."

This is just not the pattern that a mentor-student relationship should follow. To those who have been around the block and here answering questions from newer users, do you not wish to be a good mentor?

You did not watch the karate kid did you.

Actualy you will see the best advice over and over and over again in this forum:

********use the search funtion and use google *******

Did you not see this?

It does not take a genus to figure out why a psu designed for a P3 that used the 3 and 5 volt rail to power everything Vcard cpu memory etc does not do the job well for a computer that uses the 3 and 5 volt rail to power almost nothing but the memory.

I know I have typed this countless times here and it is very easaly avalable all over the web if you did not read this it is because either you did not want to see it or you did not look. Not trying to be an a$$ but it is staring people in the face even before this board came out people were having problems with 24 pin boards when not usung native 24 pin PSU's so this info has ben out there for over a year.

if you don't want a PSU or mem that is recommended or meets the same standards as the recommended componets than why oh why do you come here and waste your time pounding keys explaining your problems, theroies or what joe King OC'er does over at kick butt, com

wahahahahahahahahahaha

Sign in to follow this