Sign in to follow this  
winston856

Should I update to SP2???

Hey all, I've been running my PC with WinXP Pro SP1 ever since SP1 came out.

My question is, I'm building a new system, this of course necessitates a fresh install of winXP. So, it's time for me to make a slipstream disc, the question is, should I slipstream SP2 and use that? or should I slipsteam SP1 in there and just continue using that.

The reason I haven't updated to SP2 yet is because I've heard a lot of people complain about it when it first came out, how it's just bloatware and the windows security center firewall is bad and all that good stuff.

So, do I REALLY need to update to SP2? yes or no and why please, thank you.

- Winston

I am not fond of bloatware and took forever to update to sp2. It did no harm and there are some added security features. There is no reason to make it easer fo people to infect your computer and some programs seem to require it.

After many hundreds of SP2 updates I can say YES!

There are just too many reasons to list but you really need SP2 to keep the OS solid and protected.

It's good you did. Now winders will recognize the full size of that 160GB Maxtor HDD.

I think slipstreaming it makes it less "bloated", but I may be wrong.

I think so too.. I also use Nlite to strip out alot of unwanted stuff.. Great program!!

nLite has helped me cut down XP installations drastically while updating the O/S without waiting for internet downloads. That, in-turn, allows me to charge less for XP installations which my customers really like. :D

I think so too.. I also use Nlite to strip out alot of unwanted stuff.. Great program!!