UNOFFICIAL tREF TABLE THREAD

Dracula

=BEST VIEWED BY CLICKING ON THE

HeavyMetal_bottomleft_120x25.png FORUM SKIN LOGO=

(or you can scroll to the very bottom of your screen and look in the lowest left-hand corner for the "Quick Style Chooser" and select --Heavy Metal)

Anime_bouncing_tits.gif

PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING LINK AND READ THE SINGLE POST BY

ASTARIS:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...38&postcount=27

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have now provided an attachment link to an "in-color", more readable and much larger version of the
COMPLEX tREF BANDWIDTH CHART
. Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post now contains two different versions of the
Enhanced tREF Table
, as well as a
tREF TUTORIAL Table
, a
COMPLEX tREF BANDWIDTH Chart
and a
tREF DISCREPANCY Table
. The first
tREF Table
is based upon the
program, given a stock
MHz
H
yper
T
ransport
L
ink
~
F
ront
S
ide
B
us with
no
divider in 1T mode, which equates to a
5ns
memCLK. The second
Enhanced tREF Table
is based upon the
program with the same given
HTL
data as the first
Enhanced tREF Table
. Every section (
§
) in each of the
Enhanced tREF Tables
contains complete basic data for each of those sections (
§
); they do not include complete data-bandwidth information for each delay setting, however, as this is reserved for display in the
. The
tREF DISCREPANCY Table
juxtaposes the basic conflicting tREF data from both versions of the
Enhanced tREF Tables
as to illustrate the "
discrepancy
" between the two programs ("Tweaker" & "MemTest"). The glossary listed below is abridged as to compliment these tables more appropriately. Additionally, I am working on completing other charts and/or tables in my spare time that will contain more data. Until then, I hope this will suffice. Good OverClocking!
cool0003.gif

MEMORY
- The VERY Basics

BANDWIDTH_2006-06-26_010916.png

AND

MEMORY_TIMINGS_2006-06-26_005619.png

Enhanced_tREF_Timing_Table_Memtest86_by_DRACULA.gif

This tREF Table and all the contents within it were researched, authored and created by me.

Superscripts
: The superscripts represent the rank and order in which the tREF settings appear in the DRAM Configuration of your BIOS (i.e.: 2, 10, 14, 22, etc...)

1032 Duplicates
: Superscript number 22 has a higher data-bandwidth (algorithmically) than 10

2064 Duplicates
: Superscript number 2 has a higher data-bandwidth (algorithmically) than 14

Refreshed Data
: (REFRESH DATA BANDWIDTH) x (REFRESH TIME IN MICROSECONDS) or (MHz) x (
µs
) = Hz. This denotes the amount of raw Data Bandwidth that is actually refreshed during the “Refresh Time” in its given category or section (
§
), but does not include data from the tREF delay settings.
NOTE
: This number also represents the "
per category multiplier
" located in column 15 on the

ILLUSTRATION OF HOW THIS TABLE WORKS

tREF_TUTORIAL_TABLE.png

** Rows highlighted in RED are BAD settings and should be avoided **

*** Rows highlighted in GREEN are BEST settings for their refresh categories ***

tREF_BANDWIDTH_CHART_Complex_v7.png

This tREF Chart and all the contents within it were researched, authored and created by me.

tREFBANDWIDTHCHARTcomplexversion2.png

This tREF Chart and all the contents within it were researched, authored and created by me.

• Auto-refresh command [REF]
    When this command is input from the IDLE state, the SDRAM starts auto-refresh operation. (The auto-refresh is the
    same as the CBR refresh of conventional DRAMs.) During the auto-refresh operation, refresh address and bank
    select address are generated inside the SDRAM. For every auto-refresh cycle, the internal address counter is
    updated. Accordingly, 8192 times are required to refresh the entire memory. Before executing the auto-refresh
    command, all the banks must be in the IDLE state. In addition, since the precharge for all banks is automatically
    performed after auto-refresh, no precharge command is required after auto-refresh.

• Self-refresh entry [sELF]
    When this command is input during the IDLE state, the SDRAM starts self-refresh operation. After the execution of
    this command, self-refresh continues while CKE is Low. Since self-refresh is performed internally and automatically,
    external refresh operations are unnecessary.

HowRAMWorksDiagram.png

Enhanced_tREF_TIMING_TABLE_A64_Tweaker_by_DRACULA.gif

This tREF Table and all the contents within it were researched, authored and created by me.

tREFDISCREPANCYTABLE.png

GLOSSARY

• tREF = Click
HERE

• HTL = Hyper Transport Link. This is AMD's version of the well known Front Side Bus or FSB. While HTL is similar to FSB, it is NOT the exact same thing.

• T (or t) = memCLK (memory CLocK) = “Tick” as in 1T or 2T; a.k.a. CPC (Command Per Clock) = “timing” as in tRAS, tRP, tRCD, tWCL, tREF, etc...

• Tick = one clock cycle, or one “tick” of the clock FORMULA: [ 1 ÷ HTL(FSB) = duration of one Tick expressed in nanoseconds ]

• Clock Cycle = Clock Period = Cycle Time = memCLK (memory CLocK) = T (Tick)

a)
the smallest measurable unit of time, used by a computer’s hardware, for a controller to complete one on/off cycle, or the measurement of how quickly two back-to-back accesses of a memory chip can be made (the length of a Clock Period is variable and differs from machine to machine)

B)
the duration or length of one clock cycle is typically measured in nanoseconds (
5ns is the most common these days
) and is a variable number determined by the type of hardware used and applied hardware settings

• Memory Clock (memCLK) a.k.a. "Tick" (T) = FORMULA: [1 ÷ Memory Frequency {the HTL(FSB) including memory dividers, if any}] x 1000 = Memory Clock expressed in nanoseconds

• Clock Speed = Clock Rate = Clock Frequency = number of cycles per second and is the inverse of Clock Period FORMULA: [ 1 second (represented as 1 billion nanoseconds) ÷ 1 Clock Cycle (represented in nanoseconds) ]

• MHz = megahertz (also called megacycles or data bandwidth) or one-million completed data oscillations per second

• µ = Latin symbol for “micro”

• s = seconds

• µs = microsecond or one-millionth of a second

• ns = nanosecond or one-billionth of a second

• § = section or category

• ~ = symbol that means "similar to"

• = symbol that means "identical to"

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To put it simply it means how long the memory can hold onto data without being refreshed.

It's only of of 2 of the actuall refresh type timings I believe but it's been a while.

The higher or longer tREF is set to, the more speed you get, because you don't have to wait for it to refresh before it does it's thing.

Now set to high of a refresh will get you glitches and stuff like that, like any memory timing.

Generally you want the max tREF you can get with the highest memory speed you can get.

Find you max mem speed, make sure it's 100% stable, then play with tREF and get it as high as it goes before it becomes unstable.

The perfomance beneifts are'nt the greatest but they do help out.

It can make the overall setup run smoother...

To put it simply it means how long the memory can hold onto data without being refreshed.

It's only of of 2 of the actuall refresh type timings I believe but it's been a while.

The higher or longer tREF is set to, the more speed you get, because you don't have to wait for it to refresh before it does it's thing.

Now set to high of a refresh will get you glitches and stuff like that, like any memory timing.

Generally you want the max tREF you can get with the highest memory speed you can get.

Find you max mem speed, make sure it's 100% stable, then play with tREF and get it as high as it goes before it becomes unstable.

Thanks for the info NEOAethyr. Here's just one of my sources: