Some More Newbie Questions

Just a few more Newbie questions.

I've got my XP2500+ @ 1833 all just standard with 512Mb ddr3200. One of the other guys in this forum recommended I set it at 200Mhz * 9.5 to get a 1900 clock speed. Just a few quick questions in regards to overclocking.

Increasing the fsb increases heat - right? and also overclocks everything else such as video card, RAM, and whatever. I've got a GF3 200Ti - would it be able to handle o/cing the fsb?

Also - what is the downside of increasing the multiplyer? Heat? Voltage?

Would it be better to increase fsb or multiplyer? or both?

Any help or tips are appreciated - thanks

One of the other guys in this forum recommended I set it at 200Mhz * 9.5 to get a 1900 clock speed.

You shouldn't just set it at 200 right away. Go up to maybe 180 and then slowly work up to 200.

Increasing the fsb increases heat - right?

Yes, but it's not noticeable until you increase it a lot. My temps increased 2 degrees from 166FSB to 200FSB.

and also overclocks everything else such as video card, RAM, and whatever. I've got a GF3 200Ti - would it be able to handle o/cing the fsb?

No, your videocard and RAM are on separate buses. However, their values are usually obtained by using some multiple of the FSB. You can set your RAM so that it does not run the same as your FSB with dividers in your BIOS. Also most good OC'ing mobos allow you to lock your AGP(which is where your vid card will be) and PCI buses so they aren't affected by a FSB increase. Your videocard has it's own CPU (kind of, called a GPU) and memory that can be overclocked. That's what people refer to when overclocking their cards, not the AGP or PCI bus. So even if you didn't have a PCI/AGP lock, your card would still not be overclocked but rather the bus that it sits on.

Also - what is the downside of increasing the multiplyer? Heat? Voltage?

Heat will always be a downside to overclocking, and yes it will increase very slightly when you raise the multiplier (as with the FSB). You raise your voltage when your comp is unstable which will produce more heat.

Would it be better to increase fsb or multiplyer? or both?

Generally it's best to fiddle around for yourself and see what works the best for your system. A lower multiplier and higher FSB will give you better performance than a higher mult with lower FSB because you get more memory bandwidth (if you're running your FSB in synch with memory). That CPU of yours (the 2500+) can certainly achieve a better OC than 1900mhz...that's only 67 mhz man. Definitely try for the 200FSB (and more if you can) so you're using your RAM to its full potential.

Thanks guys -

So I think I'm going to get a volcano 11+ with some good thermal paste and work my way up to 200fsb. My goal at the moment isn't so much to increase my performance but to increase my own knowledge of what I'm doing (ofcourse the performance is always a good thing).