Crucial Ballistix, Need Help

zungkono

dear friend, I use 2 stick crucial ballistix pc3200 memory,

after several test using Memtest 1.51 test#5 then I got that

1st stick can get FSB 275 with 3-3-3-8 1T vdim 2.9v(rest setting set to default/auto)

2nd stick can only get FSB 268 with 3-3-3-8 1T vdim 2.9v

but that FSB not stable, I mean sometimes (first stick) with FSB 275 can pass test#5 for more than 50pass, sometimes can't pass the test, this also happened with second stick.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong ? Or what should I do?

Note :

vcore 1.35+110%

Cpu multi set to x7

Htt multi set to x3

Mem divider 1:1

HSF Cooler stock

dear friend, I use 2 stick crucial ballistix pc3200 memory,

after several test using Memtest 1.51 test#5 then I got that

1st stick can get FSB 275 with 3-3-3-8 1T vdim 2.9v(rest setting set to default/auto)

2nd stick can only get FSB 268 with 3-3-3-8 1T vdim 2.9v

but that FSB not stable, I mean sometimes (first stick) with FSB 275 can pass test#5 for more than 50pass, sometimes can't pass the test, this also happened with second stick.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong ? Or what should I do?

Note :

vcore 1.35+110%

Cpu multi set to x7

Htt multi set to x3

Mem divider 1:1

HSF Cooler stock

Well its rated for pc3200....the fact that you get it that high is pretty good. Your limiting factor is the 268 stick, so find a frequency that is close to that and stable and u r done, unless u wanna buy new memory...or you could try to loosen to 3-4-4-8 and see if u can go farther.

Edit...everything set to auto? Search these forums for threads on ballistix and see what other people are using for timings....could make a major difference.

Well its rated for pc3200....the fact that you get it that high is pretty good. Your limiting factor is the 268 stick, so find a frequency that is close to that and stable and u r done, unless u wanna buy new memory...or you could try to loosen to 3-4-4-8 and see if u can go farther.

Edit...everything set to auto? Search these forums for threads on ballistix and see what other people are using for timings....could make a major difference.

Yes lol that was my thoughts, some DDR 500 would have been a better choice!

In max FSB that I got (268), sometimes can pass test#5 and sometimes can't , why ?

I had similar issues with my Ballistix 2x512 pc3200. I am sure you have tried LOTS of settings, but my sticks actually ran better at lower vdimm (2.6 or 2.7 vs 2.8, 2.9, or 3.0.) They also liked a CAS of 2.5 better than 3. ??? I could not get over fsb 265 with Memtest stability.

I had similar issues with my Ballistix 2x512 pc3200. I am sure you have tried LOTS of settings, but my sticks actually ran better at lower vdimm (2.6 or 2.7 vs 2.8, 2.9, or 3.0.) They also liked a CAS of 2.5 better than 3. ??? I could not get over fsb 265 with Memtest stability.

If I use cas 2.5-3-3-8 1T 2.9v ,I only got 260 (dual bank) and with 3-3-3-8 1T 2.9v I got 270 (dual bank) but sometimes failed test#5 (headspreader near proc rather warm)

How if I replace headspreader with ramsink? is it better/can I get higher?

I would try and aim a fan at them.. Cooler ram = Happy ram.. :)

I wouldnt take the spreaders off because that would void the warranty.. You really should search this forum for others using ballistix.. Manually setting the other timings could help alot..

I would try and aim a fan at them.. Cooler ram = Happy ram.. :)

I wouldnt take the spreaders off because that would void the warranty.. You really should search this forum for others using ballistix.. Manually setting the other timings could help alot..

I use a fan on top of ram, but the ram near proc still hot when I give 2.9V ?

Hi,

Also just got a pair of Ballistix PC3200 (Avtive cooled by fan)

Mine does not like more volt than 2.83-2.9 !

max OC Findings (1T mem 1:1)

2.5-3-3-6-12-24 : FSB 250 (2.83V)

3-3-3-6-12-24 : FSB 280 (2.90V)

the "12-24" is detected after flashing new BIOS(704-2BTA + cmos clear)

Thats funny but "12-24" give same performance as the "normal" settings of "9-11"

day to day using 3-3-3-6 [email protected]

A little disapointed. They should do FSB280 @ [email protected] (AnandTech+,,,)

Just for kicks I did some analysis on the info posted in this thread;

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67762

Although not done with any emphasis on stability, there's some interesting info here!

From what I gleaned about the Ballistix;

- Average O/C was 284MHz, range from 304 to 263MHz. (25 entries)

- 23/27 entries used timings of 3-3-3-8 at 1T. Average voltage was 2.8