Sign in to follow this  
cmay119

Memtest86+ issue?

Hi all, I've been playing with my overclock today and was going to run memtest to check for stability. So I set my OC and then set memtest to enabled in the bios. Well, the second it's about to start running it reboots my computer. So I then assume I'm running to high of an OC so I back it off to my original OC settings. Try again and the same thing happens. I then try it at absolute stock settings of 200MHz and 2-2-2-5 timings. Same thing happens. I then get a little nervous and boot to the OS. The OS boots fine and I ran Super PI 32M to quickly check stability in the OS. 32M passes just fine. Just to be on the safe side, I then played Half-Life 2 for about a half an hour without a hitch.

I haven't tried running memtest from a bootable floppy yet, but seeing as other stability programs ran fine I'm wondering if I just might have a borked copy of memtest on my bios?

Anyone else experience this issue?

Guest Blooz1

It really sounds like you should try running a different copy of Memtest, as you've said!

At least then you'd know whether it's the built-in memtest, or something going on with your ram and O/C.

Yeah, I now ran a downloaded copy of Memtest86. It ran absolutely fine. So now I'm worried that my bios may be slightly corrupted? Anyone have any ideas as to why it would reboot right away?

Guest Blooz1

I don't have any idea about the reboot, but I think you're right to worry about the bios flash.

I think you ought to re-flash 5-4 again, then re-enter your settings. Yeah, it's a pain, but at least you'd know your bios is okay.

Then, just for info, you could try the built-in Memtest once more and see if it will run correctly!

Yeah, I now ran a downloaded copy of Memtest86. It ran absolutely fine. So now I'm worried that my bios may be slightly corrupted? Anyone have any ideas as to why it would reboot right away?

Holy crap! I have exactly the same problem. Memtest86+ from the bios causes an immediate reboot as it initialises, however running memtest from a bootable floppy works fine. BTW, Memtest from bios worked for me before, but not now. I'm running the 4th May bios as well.

cmay119, reflash your bios and see if it still does it. I'm too lazy. :|

Did you just recently flash to this bios? Or did you have it loaded for a while? Did memtest work before?

It would be great to see what one of the DFI guys has to say about this.

Guest Dice

same for me. it happens over a couple diff bios versions including latest official and latest beta.

you all have usb mouse and keyboard enabled in bios?

When I first got this board I had the same thing happen. came out it was having the usb kb and mouse enabled. I have since found I can have kb, but not mouse enabled and memtest from bios will work just fine.

Ive seen postings of this b4 and if memory serves me it was related to usb devices keyboard, mouse, storage, etc. enabled in bios. The workaround was to temporarily disable the usb devices while running memtest. Obviously devil types fatser than I do.

Guest Blooz1

I haven't had this issue, but that's great info to know!

Thanks, devil and learners!

The built in one never worked for me either, but, no real loss. A CD version works just fine, and doesn't require any work arounds, reconfiguring in the BIOS, or other things to waste our time.

Yeah I was aware of the Legacy USB devices causing problems with older versions of memtest, but I thought they had cleared that up. I'll go disable USB KB+M and try it again. I'll report back after that.

EDIT: Yep that was it. Wen't into bios and disabled USB Mouse and Keyboard, and memtest from the BIOS ran just fine. Thanks for the tip devil. :)

I'm having also problems with memtest....... when i set all mem setings to auto i have errors always at 95% of test 5..... i have two sticks of TwinMOS Speed Premium PC3500, the board is of course a DFI nforce3 250g, the processor is a Sempron 2800+ palermo core and the bios installed is the latest beta..

Oh i almost forgot :P i only can run the memtest without errors with FSB set to 200, the multi 1:1 and timings 2-3-3-6 all the rest to auto......

sry for my english