Creative X-FI Problems

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sry, join the club :( Its not a driver, its a problem with the NF4 chipset which is why creative hasn't been able to do much about it.

And how do you KNOW that. Based on History it is a Creative problem, I've used their products for almost 20 years in different systems and they ALWAYS have problems with their new products and Creative ALWAYS blames the problems on everyone else. It may be different this time, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

Dang, after seeing this I'm a bit hesitant to install mine when it comes in about two days from now. It would seem that flashing the board to bios 623 has helped some peoples issues.

Any official response from DFI on a fix?

Is there a rev. # on the X-FI's that let you know it's an updated one that will work?

I took mine back to Best Buy for now - make no mistake, I do *want* an X-Fi, just as soon as I read someplace they fixed the problem. From what I've read, the problem in NF4 mobos ranges from "no problem at all, works great" to "sometimes bluescreens" to "won't boot."

I am sure I could have installed my X-Fi and *maybe* had good luck. For that matter had it started bluescreening, I know how to capture the dumps and do some analysis on them - though without source code to the NF4 drivers and Creative's drivers, I wouldn't have got too far. Maybe I could help Creative figure out what their problem is - and I *do* think it's their problem - their comments about a temp firmware "workaround" for the X-Fi cards doesn't make a lot of sense. And the NF4 chipset has been out for a hell of a lot longer than the X-Fi. I'll bet they're saying it's a mobo problem at least in part because they're not exactly sure what is wrong - but they know something they can do in firmware or a mobo vendor can do in BIOS fixes it. When you're not sure what is wrong, blame someone else - that is one of the basic tennents of support! :P

Regardless, I couldn't be happier with how my brand new rig is working - and I'm just not gonna stick a sound card in that might bluescreen - even a little (a little bit of a bluescreen problem is like being a little bit pregnant).

And how do you KNOW that. Based on History it is a Creative problem, I've used their products for almost 20 years in different systems and they ALWAYS have problems with their new products and Creative ALWAYS blames the problems on everyone else. It may be different this time, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

ummm... maybe coz problems show at boot well before the creative drivers had been loaded, so a driver issue is moot, what could change is the creative rom, but it seems a bios flash helps most people. i installed an x-fi platinum on a sli-dr 623 bios no problems att all, but then had the hissing and popping problem. talk about annoying. that resolved when i disable my wireless pci card, seems that only having 2 pci slots makes choices on card spacing much more difficukt

Because thats what the guy at creative told me when I called tech support. And thats what DFI told me when I called them. DFI had no time frame for an update when I called, and suggested I send my card back to creative so they could hand modify the BIOS. Its a NF4 issue. Thats why all the other NF4 boards are having issues, not just DFI.

I finally decided to try my luck and install one of these. I went from one of the original Audigy cards to the x-fi. So far no problems. I did get a reboot while booting into windows after the intial crative driver install, but it has not happened since. I must say that even after having the other audigy, this was night and day. Very impressed with sound quality, especially with headphones. I guess I was lucky that I didn't have any problems. I am going to swap pci slots because right now its sharing IRQ's with the vid card, and Creative says it doesn't need to share IRQ's.

hi threre, just installed my brand new x-i extreme music on my nf4 ultra-d without

any problems at all. i might have been lucky to get an updated one. like Dcoggs' card

it shares irq with my vid card, but i didn't have any problems gaming so far.

gonna try switching the pci slot so it gets its own irq.

is there a way to force an irq to a certain pci slot in the bios? i was able to do it on one

of my older mobos. anyway this card sounds great, especially compared to the onboard

crap.

i hope you people having problems get it fixed soon...

I finally decided to try my luck and install one of these. I went from one of the original Audigy cards to the x-fi. So far no problems. I did get a reboot while booting into windows after the intial crative driver install, but it has not happened since. I must say that even after having the other audigy, this was night and day. Very impressed with sound quality, especially with headphones. I guess I was lucky that I didn't have any problems. I am going to swap pci slots because right now its sharing IRQ's with the vid card, and Creative says it doesn't need to share IRQ's.

Ya this card sounds beautiful. I hope you dont have the compat probs, sounds like you dont! Have fun with it. I love the crystalizer- brings out high end very well!