Creative X-FI Problems

I got the new XFI Extreme Music yesterday. I put it in and windows wouldnt boot. After loading BIOS defaults, removing the card several times, and enabling PCI resource reset config I was able to get into windows with the card installed. So I restart the computer several more times, put my BIOS settings back the way they were, and then play some games. The computer works fine and so does the card. I turn off the computer and go to bed. I wake up the next morning and it wouldnt boot into windows. So I do the same things that worked the night before and am finally able to get into windows. I dont know what the problem is here but from what Ive been reading it seems like an IRQ conflict. When Im able to boot into windows with the XFI in the computer XFI is sharing IRQ 18 with my video card. I dont know what IRQ its using when it wont boot into windows.

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

When I set the PCI resource reset config to enable and can get into windows should I go back and then disable it? Right now Ive had it enabled all the time. Is there anyway in the BIOS to set the XFI to its own IRQ? In the IRQ settings I can only change the setting to reserved from PCI.

I'm using BIOS 510-2 and dont really want to change.

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might seem like a stupid question but have you tried moving your xfi card into a different PCI slot? I once had an IRQ conflict with my sound card and moving hte PCI slot seemed to fix it :)

Yea Ive tried that. It still wont boot into windows no matter what PCI slot its in.

There's a huge thread about XFI problems on NF4 motherboards, Creative have apparently contacted motherboard manufacterers with a way to fix it via the bios. I have no idea when DFI will issue a fixed bios though

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/bo...d=26289&page=13

Lastnight I searched the forum to see if there was any info on whats going on with the XFI and someone said they were trying a new BIOS 623 so I dont know I might have to try it.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I'm getting these problems on my NF4X. I wish I had known about this before blowing $120 on this sound card :( Looks like I need a new BIOS or I need to contact Creative:

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/bo...cending&page=15

========================================================

Hi everyone,

First of all I'd like to thank you all again for your feedback, both here on the forum and in direct contact with Customer Support.

A problem was identified on nForce4 based systems where the system ran into difficulties, related to the enumeration of the cards with 2MB (X-Fi XtremeMusic and X-Fi Platinum). This resulted in a variety of symptoms:

- The system may freeze or not boot

- The system may list multiple "Unknown PCI Device" entries and lead to a BSOD

- The system may reboot repeatedly (when "Automatically Restart" is enabled in the Advanced system settings)

Some motherboard manufacturers have already acknowledged this issue and released a BIOS update to resolve it. For systems where a BIOS update is not available we will be providing an alternative resolution in the form of a replacement card with modified firmware. Please contact Customer Support for your region for further details.

Cat

Forum Administrator

Creative Labs

========================================================

• 4 weeks later...

Anything more than what is on the thread on the Creative site on this lately? I have an X-Fi Music and it's the only thing I haven't put into my new rig yet - and I am thinking I may return the X-Fi tomorrow and just use onboard sound for now.

I did read through the thread on Creative's site and posted there asking about the down side to the firmware fix. It sounds very much like Creative and DFI are doing some finger pointing on this. Sounds a LOT like a bad driver if the system reboots repeatedly with automatic reboot enabled. If it's a driver thing, that sounds like a Creative problem but maybe they're having a hard time figuring out what is wrong or something...

In any case, I am hesitant to risk de-stablizing my nice new speedy AMD for a sound card! :)