Creative X-FI Problems

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having problems with my new xfi em as well, updated the bios to 623-3, my geforce drivers and the new drivers off the creative website. had to move my geforce up a pci-e slot to get it to boot at all. so now i'm in windows, sound seems to be working however i keep getting an "current selected audio device is not supported by the application" when i try to use the apps that came with it and the list it gives me only has "windows default" as a choice. im thinking im missing a driver or somthing oh well atleast its not crashing on me now.

ps. 1 red led comes on when i boot on the mobo, does this mean a conflict? lost manual.

all i can remember, lost papers in fire.

dfi lanparty n4 mobo 1g ram, 2 sata hdrives, athlon64

8)

See if you have your onboard audio in your bios turned on.

By the way, just put together another system for a customer, same as my sig, board (bios 623),same memory, x1800xl video card, same cpu, new XFI sound card, and the rig is running fine. So what do we have here in common that causes a hit and miss with the new XFI.

• 2 weeks later...

in the past i have always had horrible customer service from creative. they refuse to post their drivers on their website, only patches and upgrades. i got an audigy2 zs off ebay that didnt have the driver disk and after scouring the creative site, and even calling the only solution was to PAY THEM $10 TO SEND ME A CD!!!

that is horrible horrible business. i hate creative for it, but i still only use their sound cards because theyre just so good/cheap. if the x-fi doesnt work on the system im building, im gonna bug the crap outta creative.

also i always have problems with their software and drivers. i wish their programmers were as good as their engineers.

i am using the platinum with no problems...i got it from newegg about 2 months ago

my Audigy 1 card was absolutely buggy, i had so many problems with it...i updated the drivers via their website and it toasted my MBR...i lost everything on my older pc..had to use a friends pc to get the files off mine...their customer service blows...and their drivers do suck, but i have zero problems from this card or my xtreme music in my other rig

• 2 months later...
where and when did you buy the card? Sounds like an older card to me

vandyl,

Do you get the popping and crackling noise from your X-fi as everyone on the CL forums is bittching about ?

I'm thinking to go for the X-fi for my SLI-DR but I'm worried.

10x

I have been using the X-Fi XtremeMusic on my NF4X Infinity since the beginning of February without any issues at all.

Don't like Creative Labs as a company, but they pretty well have a lock on hardware acceleration in games these days. After they put the tombstone on Aureal soundcards I had sworn not buy another card from them. Since I like to play BF2 I was a sucker and broke down and got one. $100+ and I don't even get a spdif out, wtf? The majority of onboard realtek/via-envy/soundmax solutions have the optical/coaxial connectors on the backplane of the motherboard these days.

If games were not an issue, I would have rather spent the money on an AuzenTech HDA X-plosion 7.1. It features great sound and Dolby Digital Live and DTS Live encoding.

i have had no problems at all as well... i got the card in store at best buy for 96.99 when it was on sale two weeks ago. i still am using the 6/23-2 bios revision and have had no problems whatsoever, not even any crackling or extra noise!

• 4 months later...

I have used the X-FI ELITE PRO since May 2006. My first install was on WINXP64 PRO, second one on WINXP 32 PRO. Everything went smoothly until a week ago when the much advertised crackling and popping started to occur. This happened after a Logitech Quickcam Orbit MP driver install which completely screwed up my sound drivers leaving me with no surround sound.

After a complete driver clean sweep of logitech crap (known issues with the echo cancellation patented ... whatever) and a full reinstallation of Creative sound drivers including webupdated drivers (not the beta ones) I got back 7.1 sound but I also got for the first time the infamous crackling and popping. I noticed the I/O of the sound card is shared with the Ide controller nevertheless the card has its own unshared IRQ.

Whenever I play cd or dvd or when disk transfers occur I am getting that terrible annoying noise. Creative forums are a NO NO, after spending hours and hours scanning the posts of the people having similar issues I realized it's absolutely useless to go there for help (though I did issue a folmal tech support request). It does seem to have something to do with the PCI bus afterall. I am not trying to assign blame here or anything but is DFI aware of what causes this ? Has anyone experienced the same issues ? I would really hate to go over a complete reinstall of the OS... Thx