Sign in to follow this  
Ghost2520

Visual Basic 6

I just checked out a couple of books on visual basic 6 at the library, I haven't actually started learning it yet but in the intro to the book it didn't really tell what visual basic is used for. It said for writing useful programs. Thats it. Can someone give me some example programs that have been created with it? Like was AOL instant messenger created with visual basic 6? Thanks.

Can you make more than just basic games? Like maybe one of those programs that automatically changes your wallpaper for you every ten minutes or something?

VB is good for making windows applications quite easily. You can access the Windows API through it as well (although not ALL of the functions, but most). It is also used extensively in databases. The drawbacks are that it doesn't allow the flexibility or speed of a middle level language like C++. Most videogames nowadays are written in C++.

Ok I just started reading the book and the first step is opening Microsoft Visual Basic. I believe this is the program that I need to start programming, but unfortunately this is a library book so it didn't come with the software. Where can I get it for free? I don't think it came with my Windows 2000 installation... thanks in advance.

no it doesnt come with the os....ya gotta buy it

and its kinda expensive....but of course you can find it on winmx or kazaa

Nevermind, I found it on a disc that came with some of the other books. I originally thought that the program wasn't needed because on the intro to the book it said that no extra programs would be needed to start programming...liars <_

I think it is the full version. It doesn't say anything about a trial ending, or it being a demo and asking me to buy the full version.

its probably an older version .....or some included cds disable the ......exe build function?(forgot what its called)(your not able to take the program to another computer)