80 Vacuum cleaner at 1 m, curbside of busy street

70 Busy traffic at 5 m

60 Office or restaurant inside

50 Quiet restaurant inside

40 Residential area at night

30 Theatre, no talking

20 Only Rustling of leaves

10 Human breathing at 3 m

0 Threshold of hearing (human with good ears)

lol i have xp-90c with a 110CFM fan and 56DBA (wow restaraunt!)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey will the si-120 have enough coverage and span to properly cool my ram if i was running at 3.3vdimm? because if it would i would get it, but if i would still need a fan on them i mind as well will get the xp-90 and keep my ghetto rigged 80mm fan.

Absolutely no love for ZALMAN on that list?

I just installed a cu7700 heatsink (the one that looks like a copper flower with a 120mm fan lol) on an sli-dr and it rocks.....load temps never get above 38C even when OCing the 3200+ to 2.6 with 1.51v. Idle temps are 24C :nod: Highly recommended, and overall cools the system well because the fan is so damn big.

But yeah, I have an xp-120 on my machine and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Absolutely no love for ZALMAN on that list?

I just installed a cu7700 heatsink (the one that looks like a copper flower with a 120mm fan lol) on an sli-dr and it rocks.....load temps never get above 38C even when OCing the 3200+ to 2.6 with 1.51v. Idle temps are 24C :nod: Highly recommended, and overall cools the system well because the fan is so damn big.

But yeah, I have an xp-120 on my machine and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Look at the main website title: "Zalman USA Quiet Cooling Solutions and More". Zalman are made to be quit first and performance second. It is very hard for something made to be quiet to match the performance of something with much more airflow. The XP fan can be turned down for less noise but the zalman fan can only go so fast. The CNPS 9500 might be OK as far as performance but the all copper design and hight are sure to rule it out in this list.

The Z's are OK, but not great for OC'ing. Many better choices at lower cost. :nod:

If the CNPS9500 does not even make the list I think you are being a little prejudiced against Zalman.

Here's a pretty good review of some top coolers:

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticl...466&articID=365

Next to the XP90 (which you seem to rate pretty highly) it was pretty much the next in line of the ones they tested. On low speed fan settings they are within 1C, and in high speed within 2C. That's within a reasonable margin of error/performance. The CNPS9500 LED comes with a fan for $62 at newegg. The XP-90C is $67 without a fan.

I think it warrants at least an honorable mention on the list? It spanks a few on there!

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent information David. Can you please elaborate which DFI mobos are incompatible with arctic cooler freezer 64 pro?

In addition, I am in between freezer 64 pro, SI-120 and HR-01 - anybody have any comments on HR-01? (xp90 is out of stock at svc and I am already buying 150 dollars worth of stuff from there and want to try a different heatsink)

UPDATE: according to this review http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=acfreezer64pro1 - it seems that no problemo on a ultra-d.

note: below link might be useful to put in your first thread (if you want to of course):

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...MVIEWTMP=Linear

UPDATE2: decided to go with SI-120 for $15 more than xp-90 - I will use a 120mm thermaltake thunderblade (78cfm - 21dba) on the 146 opteron (>2.8ghz) - hope I will get some good results.