Sign in to follow this  
Arboleda

Experience with refurbed DFI's from newegg?

Anyone have experience with refurbed DFI's from newegg? A DFI that normally goes for like $180 sells for $107 when refurbed. I often times think of refurbs as customers who return perfectly working stuff for no good reason (and if someone does return a non-working board I assume newegg trashes it or returns it to DFI or the very worst case scenario is you get a non-working refurb and have the hassle of returning it back to newegg).

One of the biggest gotchas seem to be their disclaimer that accessories are not included. I suspect this is a disclaimer but that in practice you get the accessories. Not getting the sound card riser, for instance, would quickly change my mind.

Anyone have experience?

yes you get NOTHING but the board and it's probably fine but if you have your own cables and sound card your good to go

I know they warn about that but you actually ordered one and truly got nothing but the motherboard?

I just got the ultra-d from newegg for only $123. Personally, I would spend the extra $16 to know that what I am getting will be perfect. It just depends on how much you value your time.

Hah! Here's a 3 page thread about this exact issue:

Factory Refurbs

OK, that settles all my questions. Thanks much for digging that thread up, Blooz1. Arboleda repeats to himself: "Search is my friend, search is my friend, search if my friend..." :)

Yeah, I decided to get a ATI HDTV wonder refurb... $90. It did NOT come with the CD or the remote control (costs $39) seperately. Retail new would have been $139.... so like, a REALLY bad deal.

Worse, I couldnt even test it, since the critical codec for MPEG2/4 is on the CD, ATI wouldnt download or email it to me, and the board wouldnt do DTV of any kind without it.

But I had gotten 2 NF7-S boards as refurbs that are working flawlessly to this day.

I know they warn about that but you actually ordered one and truly got nothing but the motherboard?

yes 2x once on an ultra-d 6 months ago and once on a gigabyte board in 2002

Getting no extras with a refurb is normal. You might get lucky and get some extras, probably not all though. It's been a while since I went through their refurb section, mainly because I don't buy refurb. When I did I remember prices weren't that great compared to retail items, I also remember a couple refurb motherboards being more expensive than what they were selling the retail board for! For 25%-50% off an item, sure I might be tempted to try my luck. But saving $15-$30? No thanks, I'll get the retail package.

Yeah, I decided to get a ATI HDTV wonder refurb... $90. It did NOT come with the CD or the remote control (costs $39) seperately. Retail new would have been $139.... so like, a REALLY bad deal.

Worse, I couldnt even test it, since the critical codec for MPEG2/4 is on the CD, ATI wouldnt download or email it to me, and the board wouldnt do DTV of any kind without it.

Well, that's what you get for trusting ATI.

It is very unusual that you cannot get drivers for hardware for free. And it's not the first time they do that.

I remember buying a newegg refurb that came with all the additional toys. But with a mainboard is big risk is that the I/O shield is missing which would require ebaying it.

Especially for mobo, I think that is not a good idea to get a refurb. You are just trying your luck. Some mobo returned by customer really having problem but people need to play with it for long time in order to show up problem. Except the refurb is really really cheap compare to the original price (which means you got nothing to loose) then you go for it. Otherwise I pass.

Sign in to follow this