Can i do better

Well as you can see from below, i did get some ocz xv and boy am i glad i did.

screenshotmedium2ox.jpg

I think Median must have done something wrong cos it flies in my mobo :)

UTT CH-5 defo does the jobby for me :nod:

How did I do something 'wrong'? I have yet to use any type of UTT with my NF2. I was merely commenting on what I have seen others say, mostly in regard to UTT-BH5 and those being a bit more difficult to get much out of on NF2s. UTT CH-5 I have seen better reports with, and I would now add your report(s) to my list, so to speak. :nod:

As far as the old CH-5 goes... I also have yet to use any of those with my board, and I've seen mixed reports on those as well. Hence, my being unsure about those on NF2, which some of you seem to be confirming, that they are less desirable than old BH-5 and the newer UTT CH-5 on NF2s.

Hope that helps to clear up any potential misunderstanding of my posts. :)

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice kit... What do you think about using the ofcl. 6.19.4 BIOS so far, and with OCing?

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to run any more voltage through my RAM and etc. I kinda like where things are at now. We'll see, maybe I'll get to itchin' about raising the roof, later on.

Nice kit... What do you think about using the ofcl. 6.19.4 BIOS so far, and with OCing?

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to run any more voltage through my RAM and etc. I kinda like where things are at now. We'll see, maybe I'll get to itchin' about raising the roof, later on.

Strange you should mention the bios, cos i'm just toying with the idea of trawling around for another one. I seem to have hit a wall at 243fsb with cpc on, it could be the chipset or maybe a change of bios will improve things. Either way the only way to find out is flash to another bios and see. Any pointers will be gratefully taken up ;) I must admit if the vdimm went to 3.4 it would help a bit.

You could look into modding your board for more Vdimm. I've thought about doing that with mine. I've been a bit wary about doing that, personally anyway. Even though I already have decent sinks on the mosfets for my board, they do get a bit warm pushing just 3.1v through the memory. How much heat are yours giving off at 3.2+v and at a higher frequency? The RAM I have gets a bit warm, probably not much more than others have run across though. I do have good 80mm fan blowing on the RAM sticks, and I also have good air flow through my case.

A BIOS change might help achieve a bit more FSB for you, but I'm wondering if it's going to be more a matter of giving more voltage to the RAM sticks you have..? The 6.19.4 official has been the best for me. Then again, I just switched over to using BH-5 based memory sticks and if I end up heading down the road of OCing more, it's possible a different BIOS would offer some benefits over the 6.19.4 unmodded version.

Yes getting a bit more vdimm might be the better option, after all ocz rate them upto 3.5v. AS far as far as fsb is concerned 250 is easy at Cas2.5 cpc on, or Cas2 cpc off. One thing i have noticed, move fsb to 251 and i get a no post, which is telling me that at 243 fsb cpc on i might be at the limit of my chipset, what do you think? Heat is'nt an issue with the ram, like you i've got a 80mm fan straped to them with good airflow through the case.

What Bios are you using Kitfit? You might be able to gain an extra few mhz with the right bios...

No, i don't think your at the Chipsets limit as such, lots of ppl here running 250mhz plus stable. Thats about right for UTT CH-5 in these boards so you've done well as it is. Mods to increase Vdimm would most probably help.

Also, whats your cooling setup like? Active cooling on your Ram? Chipset?

Hi shinobi, bios is the official 6.19.4. Cooling is as follows

sinks on mosfets

Thermalright NB-1 Chipset Cooler

80mm fan strapped to the ram

ThermalRight SI-97 with Vantec TD9238H Tornado 92mm fan

Case cooling 2x80mm front, 1x80mm top, 1x80mm back, 1x120mm side.

I'm up for it to do a vdimm mod, but, i've not done any v mods before. Any pointers in the right direction would be gratefully received.

Can't complain about that cooling ;)

I use a 92mm attached with a Zalman Fan Bracket on my Ram. Scan sell these great 92mm Coolermaster Fans for £1.70 each. They do these dinky little Asaka Chipset/Fan Heatsinks too that are perfect for the Southbridge. I picked one up for about £2.50 on Today only along with the Fan.

6/19 is an OK bios but i definitely get more performance by using a modded bios. Gains me about 6mhz Windows Stability over the 6/19 Official and a few mhz over TicTacs Bios. I made it specifically for my OCZ Winbond and its been superb.

If you've got a Bios Saviour or a backup plan i'd definitely experiment with some of the different modded bioses out there, see if any help.

Yeah, if your gonna be attempting volt mods then buy yourself a decent Multimeter for starters. Theres a nice guide HERE too for the LanParty B & Infinity...

Some ppl do the pencil modd to get more Vdimm. Thats probably the simplest way.

I've been trying all the modded bios's over the last week or so, as time has allowed. the result is i'm back on th 6/19 official. None of them got me any higher than i am, as per my sig. I think both median and shinobi your right, the only option is to get some more vdimm up the backside of this ram, 3.4v or 3.5v should do the job.