pverclocking newb

MNOB07

What up, first time system builder, not that i don't have any experience because I've been in a case, removed/replaced stuff and have been interested in computer hardware for about 4 months now.

My first build so far is in my sig. It will be a huge improvement over my current 1 Ghz P3 no matter how you look at it, but I'm still going for a medium-high performance build. I hope the parts are good choices, but they're not finalized yet especially because it's going to be about 2 months before i build it.

My first question is about the 3500+ venice being a good choice? sure it's good to match the 7800gt, but I'm looking to OC! I've read that 3200+ and 3000+ versions could be OC'd to about the same speed but i haven't heard anything about the overclockability of the 3500+ yet.

Another concern are advanced options, I'll be lost in the BIOS for sure, but i don't want to just look over the advanced options because i want the most performance out of what i got. If there's some guide(s) about that stuff that would be great since i don't know whatt much else does/mean aside from CPU vcore, multiplier, FSB, RAM speed, and some other basic stuff.

So I will be around this board since I'm probably going to get a DFI mobo, but I wanted to keep a post open to see if i can get any leads to where i should read. More questions to come, thanks for your time.

There's a great guide to overclocking written and compiled by THunDA - see link below in my sig. Part of it walks you through each item in the bios, with an explanation of what it does - very good info!

the other "stickies" all contain tons of useful info - worth a squint!

BTW- Welcome to the "Street"!