best cpu for overclocking on lanparty sli-dr?

toddm27

I was just wondering what kind of overclocks you guys are getting with different chips on the lanparty sli-dr, I was thinking about making the jump but want an improvement and not a downgrade. I was considering the san diego 3700+, but want at least 2.6-2.7 out of a chip as I'm running 2.6 on a mobile chip now. Any experience is appreciated, thanks in advance. By the way, I would be using corsair pc3200 xl xms memory and either a 6800gt or 7800gt.

iv seen most hitting at least 2.4...i really dont think a casual user would notice a huge fps diff from 2.4 to 2.8 or so...the multitasking is alweays nice....and it seems the dual core can sometimes be a little faster (especially if u have a lot of other background processes going)....plus, more games should be coming out that will take advantage of it....

Well, the venice seems alright by the other posts but I personally overclock for game performance, not just a ghz number.

That is why I would recommend a 3700+, for the 1mb cache. I need to upgrade my memory, but right now I am running perfectly fine at 2.5ghz on my 3700+. One might point out that a 2.5ghz 3700+ with 1mb cache probably outperforms a chip like the venice at 2.8ghz.

It just depends on what you use it for I guess.

And that 2.5ghz number is probably way low. I am at 35C with stock cooling atm and I have only spent like 15 minutes on overclocking. I am at 7700+ 3dmark05 now with just the autodetect vid card overclock on my 7800 GT and 2.5ghz on my 3700+. Too busy playing games now to worry about overclocking more today :D