Which Mobo?

Freeman2k6

Hey everyone. First post here. I am going through some issues picking a motherboard for my build. I'm currently over in Iraq right now, coming home soon and am building a new system, mainly for gaming. If you're indulge me I'd like to post my specs I've either already got on order or will be ordering soon.

AMD 64X2 4400

Zalman 7700Cu (already ordered)

2xCrucial 1GB (already ordered)

Maxtor DiamondMax10 300GB 16MB

Antec P180

Antec TruePower 2.0 TP-II 550W

Samsung 990DF 19" CRT (already ordered)

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Creative SB Audigy 2ZS

BFG GeForce 7800GTX OC

Logitech LX700

NEC ND-3540A DL DVD+RW

Liteon SOHD DVD-ROM

Sony 1.44MB

Windows XP SP2

I've been planning to get the ASUS A8N SLI-Premium, but lately I've been looking into the DFI's. If I were to get a DFI which one would you all recommend and why? Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this post is out of line. The only rule I saw that I'm violating is that there is nothing in my sig...but I techincally don't have anything to put there yet....Thanks again!

-Regards,

Freeman2k6

Well if you were originally intending to get the the ASUS which is a SLI board then I perosnally would go for the DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR mobo. This board being NFORCE 4 and SLI compatible is in the same category. Actually there is also the SLI-D with lesser stuff in the box.

Do not get me wrong the ASUS is a good board and with their new fanless chipset pipe cooling technology I have to give them some credit. However, there are many problems with this board still. Firstly, it still runs very hot and if you have a case where you mount the board on the other side the board will have to be turned upside down. Due to the design of the ASUS board and a major flaw in it this will lead to a dramatic increase in temperature of the chipset if you turn it upside down. This is a big problem!!! Although Asus have made some improvments to its previous model the ASUS A8N SLI deluxe in terms of overclocking the ASUS Premium version still is nowhere near as good overclocker as the DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR.

The DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR in my view is by far the better board. I guess it depends on and boils down to what the user wants in the end. In terms of overclocking potential the DFI simply kicks butt and in terms of quality it also kicks butt. The DFI of course is not without its flaws but these are very minor in my opinion. Its a real mans board and for someone who likes to tinker with their toy and gets great pleasure out of it. The ASUS on the other hand might be great for someone who doesn't care too much and just wants to get on with it and doesn't have that kind of interest. I personally would go with the "Man" board!

Its up to you in the end I guess but I have had both of the ASUS boards and I ripped both out and wasnt satisfied until I came across the DFI board. Much better in my personal opinion!!!! :nod:

I can see the difference in quality straight away when having the two mobos next to each other! DFI wins hands down in my opinion!

Hey, thanks for that. Great information.

I'm necessarily crazy about OCing, but if I can squeeze a few extra 100 Mhz out of my 4400, I'd be very happy. What I've read about the DFI's is that they usually are tough to get up and running. I'm also afraid of hardware compatibility conflicts. Like I said previously, this is mainly a gaming machine, so performance is key, which would lead me towards the DFI. I just don't want to have to spend all my time perusing the DFI forums looking for answers to problems I may run into:)

Thanks again!

Regards,

-Freeman2k6

I dont think you will necessarily run into too many problems if you have a psu of about 480 w and also 24pin. OCZ ram is what most people with this mobo are using however my Corsair worked fine. I was a bit concerned like you at first too if everything was going to work out ok. After building it, the machine booted up right away. Had no probs whatsoever really. The first thing I did after doing a XP install is flash the bios to the latest one out. If I hadn't done that I may have encountered some problems from what I have heard. But yeh no worries here at all it was a breeze to set up for myself. I think you will be fine personally. If not dont hesitate to message me and I will help a partner in crime out as much as I can. :)

I must say this is the best piece of hardware I have ever bought. I am extremely satisfied! I think you will be too.

Just wanted to point something out. If you plan on running 2 video cards in the future, go w/ the DFI SLI-DR. However, if you don't think you will run 2 cards, I would go w/ the Ultra-D. Still has great OC ability and the best part is that if you ever decide you want to run 2 video cards, you can actually mod the board to SLI config.

Just something to think about I guess.

But I'll have to agree, DFI boards are the best boards out, as far as quality and OC ability are concerned. Also, these forums are THE best I have seen with ppl being extremely friendly and helpful.

Freeman, you have a nice looking setup there. Good Luck getting it up and running.

Lastly, I truly appreciate your service to our country.

Thanks for the replies. Well I'm not planning on going SLI, so a question I have, is there any significant differences between the NF4Ultra and the NF4 SLI chipsets? If the difference is big enough I'll go with the SLI board. Another thing I heard is that the DFI's aren't entirely plug and play. I heard some people didn't set proper jumpers prior to installation--jumpers regarding CPU voltage--and blew their CPU's. Just trying to be prepared...

Regards,

-Freeman2k6

First of Thank You for your service to our country. I just built my 2nd rig with a DFI motherboard. I spent alot of time reading the sticky posts and the various other forums here I also Downloaded the manuals for the motherboard I was getting from the DFI site http://www.dfi.com.tw/index_noflash.jsp I looked long and hard at memory and power supplies for the DFI boards. In my opinion the MOST critical decision you will make is on your power supply. Here's a link to power supply info

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

I suggest you stick with the A list and also consider the possabilitiy you might add a second video card in the future, that will require a closer look at your PSU decision

As far as Memory choices OCZ is a proven winner with DFI boards and we have OCZ company techs. that visit the DFI forums all the time. Might take a look at this for your CPU cooling http://www.frozencpu.com/cpu-tri-13.html

All in all both of my DFI rigs were a piece of cake to setup. Main reason for that REASEARCH, REASEARCH :D

:cat:

P.S. What branch of service?

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure the Antec I listed should support everything just fine. But the Crucial memory has already been ordered, so there's no chance of going for OCZ. From what I've been reading here, (self help guides, etc) are these boards really that hard to get up and running? I mean, how much playing around in the BIOS is really necessary for normal operation? Also, are there any cables I should be ordering that won't be coming with the mobo?

EDIT: With the Zalman 7700cu installed, won't that be an obstruction to the RAM?

Regards,

-Freeman2k6

catkicker---doing my last year in the Army

Anyone used/using this ram with your SLI-DR or Ultra-D?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16820146545

That's one of my anxieties with this board...since this RAM is already ordered, I'm trying to make sure there are no compatibility issues.

EDIT:

Also, I've resently come across some information about my PSU selection,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817103931

Evidentally it doesn't fully support my video card of choice(BFG Geforce 7800GTX OC)

So I've been lookin at this one as a replacement.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817104152

Any thoughts or conflicts I may run into?

Regards,

-Freeman2k6