evga 7800gtx KO too much?

ICON57

has anyone found this cheaper? and in stock? I am looking to make my purchase, and it just came back in stock.

Also, is this worth it? is it better to buy a down clocked version and oc myself?

or will this card oc higher than the lower clocked cards?

If anyone here has this exact card please leave some comments. I dont want to waste money just want some input from you guys, so i can make a good decision...thx :)

Well, I don't have the card so I can't vouch for it, but according to Anandtech's article about it ( link : http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2494 ) it can overclock (on the memory side) higher than any other retailer's 7800GTX but thats because it has little memory heatsinks on it that you could add to any other 7800GTX yourself. The one thing the KO could do better than any other card, was that it was the quietest stock.

Despite those two positives about it (memory heatsinks stock and quietest 7800GTX stock) I don't think the extra money you spend on it is worth it when you consider that its only 1-2dBa quieter than any other GTX and the overclock makes it only a few % faster but you pay a lot more for it than most of the other GTX's ($579 @ newegg).

A quick check at newegg.com shows the cheapest GTX at $429 after rebate, which is even a little overclocked straight from the factory ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814135187 ).

EDIT : So basically... no, I don't think it is worth it :P leave it to nerds to make it overly complicated eh? :shake:

thats for sure, us nerds really do look at every single iota of information, and yeah i did see that article. As i am not a big faN of asus products, i dont think i would go with that card. i will keep my options open, and place an order on sunday..gonna mull it over. :)

anyone else wanna add?

With the OC version, you get warranty on the higher clock, once u oc yourself u lose warranty so you decide. I bought the OC version, so no worries on the warranty for me, I have the XFX version though 490/1300.

are you referring to the ko version? are you saying if i oc the vid card i lose my warrenty?

is the xfx card loud? where did you get yours? and how much. I also looked at that card.

Gonna place an order tomorrow and i want to make the best choice.

Everyones input is needed...thx guys/gals :)

Not loud at all, but I am running other fans, its above 500$, and its the OC version. Oh and if they want to know if its overclocked or not, they can find out, just by looking how dissapation, they remove the heatsink and can tell the amount of stress, they normaly don't since its a hasle, but if the card looks bad, you can count on it, plus your supose to use good judgement, and tell them the truth, that you oc/ed it. I would , and I don't what your opinion on telling the truth is or not, whether minor or major, I always do, no exeption.