BSOD: PFN_Control_List Error

hey all, i just received my DFI ultra-d today and set everything up hardware wise and i was reinstalling windows. I had gotten past the reformat and intial setup. After the first setup reboot Windows started loading and then said it needed to restart. When it tried to restart i got a BSOD listing the pfn_control_list as an error. I already ran memtest and my memory passed in dual channel how its setup. I don't know which BIOS version I have, but its running the optimized defaults. Any help would be great :)

Ok, the first thing I would do is go ahead and flash to bios 623-3. This is the latest official bios. I would just use one stick of ram in dimm slot 2 while flashing. Next using "value" ram with these boards is problematic. You will need to setup your ram's advertized settings and voltage in bios. Do you know what they are. Even with that you may not get them to play right. But since that is what you have, let's give it a try.

How to clear cmos after bios flash

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...702&postcount=4

its 2 sticks of the exact same stuff... not a kit per se, but shouldn't two sticks w/ the exact same model # work correctly? I removed one stick from slot 4 and it seems to be working now, but that doesn't really help me run it in dual channel now does it? =... could you recommend me some memory? pref 2x1gb stuff if I have to buy new ram... <300 pls lol...

no unfortunately i don't know the cas timings on it... WinXP is pretty much installed so i'm gonna try to flash to 623-3 like you've suggested via the BIOS CD I made earlier (glad I decided to make it before I wiped XP 0o)

edit: when I say i don't know cas timings, I mean I don't know what manufacturer spec is supposed to be. Its currently at 3-4-4-8 (glanced at them real fast in BIOS)

That is the spd settings/timing. May be different the the actual timing. If your spd timings are different then the rated timing for your ram, that could create a problem on these boards. If you leave them at default. Check the ram see if you have a sticker on them. Look for cas# Again "value" ram are not good on these boards.

could you recommend some 2x1gb sticks?

edit: just flashed it to 623-3 and am doing the wait 10 min after clear cmos like instructions said... hopefully it will improve situation a bit...

edit2: (editing my edit) my timings are 3-3-8-3 @ 1t according to POST screen...