LanParty NF4 BIOS - Cleaned up 704-2bt a little

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the time I stand amazed at what really goes on in the 'working' computer world versus most of the 'enthusiast' computer market. Always thinking the next bios is the holy grail of bioses when really they are almost always slower than the very first release 'unless' there was a serious bug issue with the first released bios.

One freeeken FSB more or less is never a reason to flash a bios at all. Never ever will one FSB be worth the real world risk of flashing.

So I just did me a little google search on "when flash bios" and got this rather interesting link from a working not play motherboard manufacturer. Rather interesting reading and is really in line with what my first mentors told me about bios flashing when I was so green behind the ears it appeared I had leaking capacitors.

The real world of bios flashing for work and not play???

Just so that we all get a look into the real world and not our own little world only.

RGone... :confused: :dog:

And just one more add since I am sitting here contemplating the world of bioses and NF4 configuration et al. 704-2BTA is really what I have looked for these many months of DFI NF4. A real jsp bios that has timings set in motion at boot up that will allow a wider range of users to boot up at defaults and not be faced with so many failed initial boots.

BT/Tony/BigToe/BigTommy has been more than kind enough to fix up this one of a kind for really the jsp world and leave the tweaks in. The bios has every tweak still intact for whatever speed/setting was available in a previous bios just not so deeyam tight when trying to get a configuration setup.

So the reality is the bios is theoretically capable of only the same speed as any 704 bios or even 623 bios. But there is a slight hedge for more speed that serious understanding of a bios might hint at. What hint is that?

Well a bios boots in stages as we all know. Relaxed timings during initial booting stages before the final calls to the CMOS are made could result in smoother booting and thus when call is made to user settings> the board is more stable and able to reach out or up a little further than previously. Conjecture and theorizing? H*ll yes, but it is all a process of understanding anyway and possibly has merit.

What I was looking for was and seems viable to date; was a more readily bootable bios for jsp and during configuring/setup of systems. For that I like what I see and will be paramount in my mind as time progresses. Thank guys.

RGone...

RGone thanks for the link..My intial thought was the opposite on the dram drive strength...but it makes sense that a little extra on drive strength can help stabilize the ram at a higher speed...maybe

when I had some OCZ Gold PC3200, I thought setting to high seemed to helped..but I was unsure so I set it back

Now I have my crucial valuram..2x 1gb....I set it to default settings from 623-2

I have to agree, we flash fw/bios too much

I have started being more conservativewith my last 2 systems....I find a bios that gets me where I want(maybe not the highest overclock but very stable..and I stop tinkering)

So for me until I have an issue, I am staying with 623-2 ..yellow slots with my 2 x 1gb crucial valuram@250mhz on 180 divider with 275fsb...running 2750 on my venice 3200

I am not the fastest setup out there but I am stable....(I ran Prime 95(large/small fft each) for 15hrs and memtest 6hr after which time I stopped it...my wife gets kinda testy with the testing crap...I would have liked longer..ie 24hrs but in the real world for me I have to balance my needs with HERS...guess who wins :nod: )

Smart user of puters it seems you are fast approaching man. You know I finally even as nuts as I am about speeeeeeeeed> get to where I want to use the computer everytime I touch the power button and my massive speed assaults are mostly useless for that and am reminded of my IT buddies remonstances to me>> if you need the computer; do not overclock it. HEhehehehehee. They have to do it for a living and might know a thing or two.

RGone...

RGone thanks for the link..My intial thought was the opposite on the dram drive strength...but it makes sense that a little extra on drive strength can help stabilize the ram at a higher speed...maybe

when I had some OCZ Gold PC3200, I thought setting to high seemed to helped..but I was unsure so I set it back

Now I have my crucial valuram..2x 1gb....I set it to default settings from 623-2

I have to agree, we flash fw/bios too much

I have started being more conservativewith my last 2 systems....I find a bios that gets me where I want(maybe not the highest overclock but very stable..and I stop tinkering)

So for me until I have an issue, I am staying with 623-2 ..yellow slots with my 2 x 1gb crucial valuram@250mhz on 180 divider with 275fsb...running 2750 on my venice 3200

I am not the fastest setup out there but I am stable....(I ran Prime 95(large/small fft each) for 15hrs and memtest 6hr after which time I stopped it...my wife gets kinda testy with the testing crap...I would have liked longer..ie 24hrs but in the real world for me I have to balance my needs with HERS...guess who wins :nod: )

Being lucky enough to have three rigs just flying I have to admit it's mostly curiosity/boredom that keeps me flashing. Stealth17, Shinobi, and Tmod requested some bioses I collected and I capitulated as well as offering to test some for the Flashing/Boot CDs they have been working on.

I'm convinced the pershoot, Stealth17, Tmod work will be invaluable for some of the newer members since how and what to flash seems almost as popular a question as "Is my chipset temperature to high". :D

I realize the effort they put into these CDs and just trying to give a hand where I could as I definately resemble the typical n00b. I know just enough to get in trouble. :)

I agree that the older bioses can be faster before they are diluted to accommadate all the various versions of RAM and auxilliary components that will be used with the board.

I also agree with you and AG when you ask folks to stop the flashing "craziness". A shame more don't take the time to read the excellent guides available in this forum rather that trying for the "miracle flash". But many have newer CPU revisons that do require a bios flash for optimum performance (including me).

What I am totally amazed at are the users have absolutely no clue about the necessity of a back up plan. No spare bios chip, no bios savior, no info backed up. Just the desire to flash to the "newest" bios in the hope of increasing their clocks.

Perhaps I am being overly critical but "backup plan" was drilled into my head over and over back in the NF2 hey-days.

Your words of caution are as well noted as your input on BigToe's latest. :)

Kudos to Tony as this appears to work whether Winnie or SanDiego, yellow or orange slots, divider or not. Just plain worked well on two fairly different rigs. Always thought I needed that VID at 123% for my Winchester. Apparently I was wrong once again :D

I'm considering your posts a "Public Service Announcement".

- cept no siren's outside or "RGone alert" flashing on the TV.

Eyep mR. SX98 this is very true in likely over 95% of the applications>> Just plain worked well on two fairly different rigs. << that was my general hope when started talking to BT/Tony/BigToe/BigTommy about the thing. It is as Tony said a one of a kind variant originated for him only.

I tested it and hollered so much about the thing that AG tried it as did a bunch of my buds to see how it held up. Got about an 85% plus rating until BT relaxed the timings "at boot" and then it comes out nearly 97% fine for anything and anyone that has a clue about how, when, where, and what to flash. Hehehehehe.

And it was this that I had wanted to see work as it did>>

Feeding it Memory...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vcore 1.375 + 113% on 4600+ X2 processor. LDT 1.4V Chipset 1.7V. All memory 2.8volts. USING ORANGE SLOTS FOR ALL MEMORY!!! 200x10...

2x512 Ocz GX Gamer Edition. Throw 2 sticks in and Running SPD, boot straight to windows to type this.

2x512 Corsair TwinX1024 3200C2PRO w/LEDs. Throw 2 sticks in and Running SPD, boot straight to windows.

2x512 Corsair TwinX1024 3200XL Throw 2 sticks in and Running SPD, boot straight to windows.

2x512 Ocz PC5000 Throw 2 sticks in and Running SPD, boot straight to windows to type this.

2x512 Centon Advance PC3200 Running at SPD, boot straight to windows to type this.

2x512 PdP 400/533DDR Running at SPD, boot straight to windows and type this.

2x512 Ocz VX4000 Running at SPD, boot straight to windows and type this.

2x512 Corsair XMS Xpert PRO with 'huge' LEDs and in YELLOW slots to clear cpu HSF. Throw in 2 sticks and boot straight to windows to type this.

and is what I was hoping for. Ease of configuration and so far it is far advanced of anything I have seen previously. Will it fix everyone? H*ll NO, because you cannot fix many folks no matter what but it is way ahead of the second place offerings and thank you for testing and for input that is above reproach cuz me nose you nose yore shett.

RGone...

By the way, I'm having some trouble with my Maxtor Maxline III harddisk, and unfortunately the 704-BTA bios also does not seem to fix it. Read more here.

Would it be possible to release a bios that fixes this issue (most likely by updating the nVRAID bios, just like MSI and Asus did several months ago)?