My conclusion: I finally figured out what SLI REALLY stands for

Phfor

After messing around with an SLi rig for several months, I figured out what it ment.

SLIght hassle.

despite it only being

SLIghtly better.

Seriously, SLI was a giant pain in my butt. I could never get anything but offical drivers to work properly, several games simply would NOT work with it, and, aside from Doom, no game really got that much of a boost. I think HL2 ran worse.

Plus, all the trouble of turning SLI off and on to get my other monitors working/play a game. It was a mess.

when you say games didnt work, do you mean they wouldn't run, or they wouldnt use SLI?

I get annyoed when people say their 5 year old game dosent use SLI. DOES SIM CITY 2 REALLY NEED 1000 FPS INSTEAD OF 999?!?!?!?!?!

of course you didnt say that, but some people do............

when you say games didnt work, do you mean they wouldn't run, or they wouldnt use SLI?

I get annyoed when people say their 5 year old game dosent use SLI. DOES SIM CITY 2 REALLY NEED 1000 FPS INSTEAD OF 999?!?!?!?!?!

The video cards don't do it automatically. The SLI splitting portion is handled by the software drivers and the games, which creates a slow down. If the game doesn't support SLI, then no SLI for that game.

Waaay back in 98 or so when I upgraded to a p4, I bought super micro P4STA boards. That was their designation. In 'leetese' that spelled pasta and my girlfriend enjoyed telling everyone our boards were pastas. :shake: When we again upgraded in 2001, we used a pair of boring intel 850 boards. Now, having upgraded 2 months ago, we have SLi-DR boards which she has dubbed Sliders. So, if you ask me, sli is only around to give motherboard makers 3 letters to make a cool board name like Slider, Slick, Slim and Slippery. Ooh, maybe we'll see a small form factor SLI board called the SLiM! Get it?! :D

get annyoed when people say their 5 year old game dosent use SLI. DOES SIM CITY 2 REALLY NEED 1000 FPS INSTEAD OF 999?!?!?!?!?!

i dont say this because of framerates

i say it because a lot of older games simply do not work at all, or work correctly.

older games are not simcity2 either...serious sam, unreal tournament, quake3, GTA3 and GTA:VC, lots and lots of games are just a serious hassle to even get running (and too many have to have SLI disabled completely as even going back to 'single gpu' rendering with SLI still enabled kills the game).

even lots of new games don't work very well or don't get any gains from SLI, and those that do work and get a gain...it is very small (not worth the investment of a second card unless you have 6600GT's which is what I have, and I cannot wait for the DangerDen 7800 waterblock to show up so I can rid myself of this cursed 6600GT SLI and enjoy a lot of older games on the LAN with momma and my brother as well as really enjoy the new games that I really want to play but can't, or get graphics problems, or run like crap lol)

i dont say this because of framerates

i say it because a lot of older games simply do not work at all, or work correctly.

older games are not simcity2 either...serious sam, unreal tournament, quake3, GTA3 and GTA:VC, lots and lots of games are just a serious hassle to even get running (and too many have to have SLI disabled completely as even going back to 'single gpu' rendering with SLI still enabled kills the game).

even lots of new games don't work very well or don't get any gains from SLI, and those that do work and get a gain...it is very small (not worth the investment of a second card unless you have 6600GT's which is what I have, and I cannot wait for the DangerDen 7800 waterblock to show up so I can rid myself of this cursed 6600GT SLI and enjoy a lot of older games on the LAN with momma and my brother as well as really enjoy the new games that I really want to play but can't, or get graphics problems, or run like crap lol)

yeah I agree with you, sounds like a hassle.

i was refering to old games that DO work with only one card.......Not when they DONT work, that is indeed annoying.

I passed on the sli stuff, when I stood back and looked at it I didn't think it would take off. What games would run on it from day 1 was a ?, not to mention the price.

Having said that I am suprised that I have to tweak down the setting in bf2 on my rig (effects setting at low helps in big fire-fights as all the explosion effects would cause lag as I was getting spanked). I can run at high settings with aa but the game runs better with most video settings at medium and a few select at high. Plus the game is quite stable for me with lowered video settings (bf2 is only app that may hang on my machine).

All the other games will run at or near the highest settings

Just a side note:

I've been playing some slightly older games (C&C Generals, MOH Pacific Assault, Call of Duty, Dungeon Siege, etc) on my SLI rig and never had a problem. :confused:

If you've been playing C&C Generals (and possibly even with ZH add-on?) and you never had a problem, you're truly blessed! Practically everyone playing that game has more or less troubles sooner or later. :confused:

Most of the players has been experiencing the infamous "Serious Error" with C&C:G at some point... :sweat: