Motherboard degeneration?

I know the old northwood CPU suffered from degeneration after lots of volts and high clocks, but is it possible a motherboard chipset could do the same?

My 630 used to clock to 4.1 with no problems on relatively low voltage. Well, now i can't get it stable over 3.8ghz. I bought a 551 CPU, and i can't get it stable much over 3.8 either. i've tried different memory configurations and different sticks of memory with no luck. Unfortunatly i don't have any other platform to try these CPU's out on to see how they perform.

So, back to the question at hand, is it possible for components on a motherboard to suffer degeneration?

Hey mike, I just might be on the same road but I have not lost cpu overclocks yet just memory problems, no memory I have is now stable at 265+fsb 1:1 butr all my cpus now clock the same with the dividers as they always did.I have also been wondering about the NB because at 270fsb 5/4 I am 3dm5 stable with my x800 at 580/580,if I put the gfx up to 620/600 volt modded its atitool stable but not 3dm5 stable but if I drop the fsb to 250fsb its now 3dm5 stable at 620/600.Is this maxing out the NB? Stan moved to asus, dual core and a 7800 and seems very happy.I am going to go dothan I think.

Thats what i've been trying to weigh out, whether i'm going dothan or dual core. I figured dual core might be better to get some money for this 6800 GT while there is still somewhat of a market for it, but i cooked that one stick of DDR600 i have anyway, so i'd have to by memory regardless, Dual core sounds like fun, but the numbers dothan is putting out is insane..... hmmm

Ace: the clocks started going downhill way back in the spring. Unlike ford, dividers didn't help my case. Also, after several months of having it backed down, I was pushing it up with some mild volts and about 280 FSB and it pooped out this stick of ram here.

For a long while I could run my 530J @ 4.2 in the DFI 875P-T. Then I something happened and I couldn't get stable above 4.0. Before I put the P-D 830 in this Asus rig, I ran the 530J in it for about a week. I had it stable at 4.4 in the Asus mobo. I had the same WC, and PSU, but different mem, vid card. Don't know if that makes any difference or not.

I don't know, i think i'm going to get out of AGP while there is still somewhat of a market for it.... This board blew the one stick of memory, so thats money down the tube.... I had a bad experience with my asus p4c800e-dlx, so i'm hesitant to go back to ASUS, but i've been hearing great things about their new boards!

Wanting to get the most out of my AGP and DDR1 is why I switched. Sold off most all of that generation of stuff. Couple of weeks after I got my Asus going, Intel releases a roadmap showing new Dual Core procs will be out 1stQ06. I'd be willing to bet that even though they are 775 procs, they won't work on the 955 chipset. I have nothing to prove that with. Just a hunch. So this generation of P-Ds is prolly limited in life span to about 1stQ06. The Dothan's are kicking up some good benchies. But they seem to be hurting in rendering benchies and multi threaded benchmarks. Even though they are screeming fast in single thread, I passed on them because it is still old technology. The AMD X2s are doing well. But I never was much of an AMD fan. This P5WD2 is a fast computer. It is going to last me for a while. Check it out. I'm in the top 10 on the ORB for PCM05. And the top 2 cheated by using RamDisks. I've actually scored higher then this, but the ORD wouldn't let me post my scores because I didn't have "certified" drivers. Whatever that means.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm05=71226

It is different. It is better. All my current benchmarks smoke my HT benchmarks. It's smoother. If I had it to do over though, I would have gotten an 820 and used the native 14 multi. I have to trick the proc into using a 14 multi. I think it would do better if I didn't have to do that.