Problems?

JohnL

Well, I am new-ish to A64 O'Cing.... I know to keep my HTT close to 1000x2=2000.... I know not to use too many volts.... I know to try and keep things under 40c as much as possible. I know about ram dividers and all that stuff, I just lack the hands on experience. So, I did some looking and asking around and found that with my stepping (venice ybble) I should be able to get around 2.4ghz without doing anything too drastic... Thinking about getting a thermalright xp-90 with a good Panaflow 92mm fan to take care of the cooling, but until then, I am on stock cooling which keeps things around 35-38c (sometimes lower depending on the A/C settings) idle right now (stock clocks)... So I thought I could play around a little bit and overclock just a little and see how much of an improvement I can expect, then I hit a wall.

First, I simply tried increasing the FSB 20MHz, bringing my HTT down to 4X, and putting my ram on a 9/10 divider. So I had FSB 220, HTT 880, and RAM @ 396Mhz... Core was 220X9=1980, a 180MHz overclock. Timings were at 2.5-4-4-8 (its rated for 3-4-4-8, but is rock solid at 2.5 with everything else stock.) I thought this sounded like a very mild overclock. So I booted winodws (i didnt change any voltages at this point) and tried to run 3dmark05 to see if it would pass muster and see what kind of improvement I would get. Well, I got passed 4 out of 5 tests then it crashed. :confused: So I thought maybe it was some kind of error that was just random (now even at stock everything its crashing, I think it needs a reinstall) so I fired up BF2 to see how it would do there. Well, it blue screened, and died, so I tried VID + 104% and .1V more on the chipset. Same result. This was with 623-2. bios.

So, I Read up and found that 704-2BT would probably be my best bet, so I flashed that up and did the same exact thing with the 704-2BT bios, with the same results. I figure that I should be able to overclock this much with my setup, but aparently there is something that I am missing. Does anyone have any ideas? I made sure to get a Venice core because I have heard that they are very good overclockers, and I would really like to get this one going somewhat fast, because I think right now it is bottlenecking my video subsystem. Any help would be greatly appriciated! Thanks in advance.

JohnL

Hi JohnL..

For the heck of it to put your ram on the 166 divider or the one right under that.. JUST to test.. Ive found my venice to not like certain divders for some reason when I know dam well it should be stable..

I've read through the stickies, not as in depth as I should aparently, but I really thought that this small of an overclock wouldnt be a problem. I'll look into those this weekend a little more... I will also try a few different dividers as well

My problem wouldnt be that im still on a stock cooler would it? With this small of an OC it should be fine, right?

I've read through the stickies, not as in depth as I should aparently, but I really thought that this small of an overclock wouldnt be a problem. I'll look into those this weekend a little more... I will also try a few different dividers as well

My problem wouldnt be that im still on a stock cooler would it? With this small of an OC it should be fine, right?

As long as the CPU temp is under [email protected] you are fine.

The Venice is cool running, the stock HS is pretty good,

so you can get some "reasonable" OC's with good case cooling.

The XP-90 is only $25 at SVC. Get a 92mm Panaflo 48/57/68 CFM fan for it.

GL ;)

Hmmm.... I wonder what it could be... Also, sometimes if I try and go to 225fsb or 230, it will not get to the part where it says "Backup CMOS......"

It will get through post and get to right before that then restart.... Does this ring any bells?

Like Dave said as long as its under 50c you should be ok.. I have a entry in the database where I clocked my venice to 300x9 on the stock cooler..

Getting it cooler will definitly not hurt but I dont think thats your problem..

I think its the divider.. I know I cant even run stock with the 166 divider.. So maybe your having the same problem with the 180 divider,.,.