Sign in to follow this  
piotrgurin

Concensus on best 2x1gig RAM for Ultra-D??

I would like to know if there is a general concensus on

wether 4x512 or 2 x 1gig is better.

And if 2 x 1gig is better which brand is the most popular ?

Go check out the OCDB and see what ppl are running. Most run either OCZ, Crucial and some Mushkin. Depends on your setup if 4x512 or 2x1GB will work better. Some will tell you 512 sticks OC better, while others will tell you 2 1GB sticks will.

I think you're probably going to end up with a consensus for OCZ, and I'd just go ahead and get 2x1GB. That way if you decide you need 4 GB in the future, for some unknown reason, you'll have room for it.

I have the OCZ PC3200 plats(2x1gb kit)... these don't OC for shizzle.... they are good to about 220htt then you are stuck. The 3-3-3-8 gold series seem to be gettimg much better OC results. I am runnin my 2x1gb sticks (2-3-2-5) 220x12 2.64Ghz. I was running my 4x512 OCZ gold pc3200 (bh-5) at 250x12 3ghz (3.5vdimm, active cooling) I didn't like the performance hits in my benchmarks (didn't notice any real world performance hits) but when I would bech, my score were alot lower running T2 timings vs T1 when I install the 2x1gb sticks.

4x512MB of OCZ Plat rev2 3200's will get you about 250-270x whatever....thunda has a bunch of entries in the DB with 4 of these modules

I have an entry or two with 4x512 of Centon TCCD's which are the same also

as CPU Killer says, the 2x1024 2-3-5-2 3200's from OCZ are great, but don't overclock for shizzle *lol*

the OCZ Gold PC4000 2x1024 though overclock pretty good...I've got 4x1024 of them in the DB @ 240x12 (2880Mhz) and another entry @ 250x11 with them.

The quickest 2x1GB for our NF4 boards is without question the PC4000 Crucial Ballistix. Both the normal and tracer versions overclock the same.

Most peeps get them up to about 280-300MHz at 3-3-3-8 timings. Nothing else at the moment comes even close. There is a difinitive list somewhere on another forum of the fastest RAM 2x1GB setups people have at the moment, and 90% of the RAM in that list is the Ballistix, and the vast majority at the top run 3-3-3-8. So the data is pretty reliable, and you should be able to hit these speeds without too much trouble.

Mushkin had a particular run of very high quality chips in their Blue Series PC3200 2GB kits, with a few people acheiveving decent speeds of about 260MHz on relatively low timings. Unfortunately it appears that was merely a one-off, as other people who bought the same type of RAM got very crap results, with almost no overclocking headroom whatsoever (seems at some point they changed over to Infineon chips for these modules - fine at stock, not so good for OCing).

I have the OCZ Plats, and my advice is don't bother unless you intend to run it at or near stock. The stock timings are really tight, but that is the only thing it has going for it. Nobody I know has managed to crack 235MHz regardless of what they try. At sensible timings mine won't go above 220, even with a helluva lot of juice pumped up.

OCZ Golds appear to be well-received, but I haven't seen much solid data about what they can do (only because I haven't looked).

Verdict: Crucial. Tried and tested.

My consensus is if the latency is 3 or higher better OC times vs

3 or lower IE mine is 2 and I have a feeling will OC very little.

With that I ask is low latency memory a poor choice for OCing?

:confused:

My consensus is if the latency is 3 or higher better OC times vs

3 or lower IE mine is 2 and I have a feeling will OC very little.

With that I ask is low latency memory a poor choice for OCing?

:confused:

No read the link to X-systems some are getting high FSB with cas3 generaly speaking lower cas is better though higher FSB can make up for higher cass but that is a whole new topic.

Sign in to follow this