Fubar my cpu, possible damage to mobo!

Hi all, hate to have my first post on these forums be one of stupidity :D ! We all got to learn sometime right? Well here is my problem. I have an c0 stepping 3200+ clawhammer and popped off the cap to get lower temps. Obviously, I didn't do it correctly, leaving my cpu useless at this point. I know the problem which I experienced. The heatsink wasn't attached firmly to the die!!! ARggh! I powered on, board didn't post, then the pc turned off. I powered on again, board wouldn't post, then it turned off. I didn't see any screen come up (like the lanparty screen where you can get to bios). I started to smell the electrical fried smell.

This leaves me with a few questions. Is there anyway on checking if the motherboard is okay without a cpu? If so, how? Do you think the motherboard is okay?

Here is what I have, DFI Lanparty UT nf3 250.

Any suggestions would be nice :D Thanks!

Concrapious say, man who stands on toilet is high on pot!

The mobo should be ok, if all you did was melt down the CPU

because there was no contact between the CPU & the HS.

A64 CPU's without an Intergrated Heat Spreader (IHS) are best served by "bolt through" mounted HS's,

like the Alpha or the Switech. The old Thermalright 948U was good, too.

Extreme care & some minor modifications must be used when mounting HS's to non-IHS CPU's.

Here is an excellent guide: Swiftech by "Impaqt" Instructions with Photos:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...11&postcount=50

Good Luck,

Dave ;)

Hey thanks! Also I noticed both my led's working, so my power supply and motherboard is hopefully okay. Well, I'm not too mad that this clawhammer failed as it is a pretty bad overclocker. Any suggestions on a cpu? I have been eyeing one at newegg here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103461

It looks like it's the 3700 with the better memory controller because of the model number..

ADA3700AEP5AR

Or, do you think I should go with a DTR?

Hi all, hate to have my first post on these forums be one of stupidity :D ! We all got to learn sometime right? Well here is my problem. I have an c0 stepping 3200+ clawhammer and popped off the cap to get lower temps. Obviously, I didn't do it correctly, leaving my cpu useless at this point. I know the problem which I experienced. The heatsink wasn't attached firmly to the die!!! ARggh! I powered on, board didn't post, then the pc turned off. I powered on again, board wouldn't post, then it turned off. I didn't see any screen come up (like the lanparty screen where you can get to bios). I started to smell the electrical fried smell.

This leaves me with a few questions. Is there anyway on checking if the motherboard is okay without a cpu? If so, how? Do you think the motherboard is okay?

Here is what I have, DFI Lanparty UT nf3 250.

Any suggestions would be nice :D Thanks!

Concrapious say, man who stands on toilet is high on pot!

the cpu should have slow down the core speed to a few Khz or to nothing

have u try the cpu in a other borad?

The mobo should be ok, if all you did was melt down the CPU

because there was no contact between the CPU & the HS.

A64 CPU's without an Intergrated Heat Spreader (IHS) are best served by "bolt through" mounted HS's,

like the Alpha or the Switech. The old Thermalright 948U was good, too.

Extreme care & some minor modifications must be used when mounting HS's to non-IHS CPU's.

Here is an excellent guide: Swiftech by "Impaqt" Instructions with Photos:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...11&postcount=50

Good Luck,

Dave ;)

Hey david, thanks very much for posting that link, I have a similar question up a couple threads, and that pretty much answered it. Thanks again. :)

Being a lazy crap myself, I just use a thin silver shim, both sides rubbed with AS5.

I wonder if you could use a penny or two as a shim? Maybe use some Brasso to get rid of the tarnish then attach it using a thermal adhesive??

I cracked the core of the cpu. Boy, is it brittle. No wonder why they use a cap!