"Clear CMOS" jumper mod - please advise

Hi there

With my SLI-DR, as im sure others are aware, the CMOS reset jumpers are hidden between the two graphics slots. This makes it very difficult to clear CMOS with a fully installed system.

My plan is to make a switch for the jumpers so I can clear CMOS without having to use a pair of tweasers and a torch every time.

Now could you someone (preferably of reasonably authority) please tell me, are the 3 pins absolutely necessary or is one of them only there to hold the jumper in place when NOT clearing CMOS? The reason I ask, is if only 2 of the pins are actually doing anything then I can use a normal 2-pin ATX switch on the 1st and 2nd pin for this, whereas if a connection is required between 2nd and 3rd pin for normal opperation of the board then I need to wire my own switch myself.

Thanks

THunDA has a switch hooked up to his.

Easiest way is to get a 3-pin fan extension.

(usually 8 to 10 inches long)

Plug one end into the motherboard

and then simply move the jumper to the other end of the extention.

just tuck it out of the way and short when you need to.

(Still leaves the battery issue if it's important to ya)

EDIT: looks like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/F...able__34545.htm

can usually find them for $1.99 just about anywhere but you don't have to hassle with a switch then.

Courtesy of THunDa

cmosjumper8tw.jpg

attach wires to the toggle and connect the other end of the wires to a 3pin fan connector..The 3pin fan connector plugs right onto the 3 cmos pins.. Just use different color wires so you dont get em mixed up.. Basically which ever way the switch is it makes the two opposite pins connected just as if a jumper was on the cmos pins..

Switch used

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cook...ct%5Fid=275-654

Thank's THunDa

Guest edge130

Just wondering...

The switch you suggest has CENTER OFF, to me meaning UP, CENTER, DOWN position,

Would't you want a SPDT 2 position switch, no CENTER OFF?

CENTER OFF would be the same as jumper removed

And that's exactly why I used the extension instead. All my friends, my kids, and kids friends seem to find it extremely difficult to pass by a switch without flipping it and the same goes for buttons, they just gotta push it.

At my retail shop I put "please don't touch the screen" on the touch-screens.

The non-touch screens say "touch me". It never fails, Americans do just the opposite. Kin da like the "Don't Walk" sign on semaphores. They usually "Run" :)

i work at a print shop as a graphic designer. i have a HUGE sign in both english and spanish right above my monitor that says "please do not touch the computer screen." its even got a picture of a hand touching a screen and big x through it. and it never fails, if a customer comes back to check out a design, they smear their oily fingers all over the screen. and it takes me forever to clean it. and i cant just say "sir read the sign, because your an idiot."

SoundX - you da man!

(Blooz rummages through his parts cabinet..)

HAH! KNEW I had one of those boogers here somewhere! Hidin' with all da Panaflo tails!

How simple was THAT?