Chipset Voltage

How high can I put my chipset voltage before it'll need active cooling? Currently, I have a fan actively cooling my RAM and it blows a fair bit of air over the chipset too, that enough?

What voltages would you recommend I give it?

I've never had to raise my chipset volts over 1.6V. How high do you think you should go?

If you really think you need more cooling, you could remove your stock HS, clean off the TIM, (I bet you'll be surprised at how little contact's actually being made!) and replace it with a good TIM product of your choice.

Or, replace the stock HS with a better passive aftermarket HS. I use a $5 Zalman which works just fine!

Lol.....and you're at 1.6v with 300Mhz HT. Fair enough. I was thinking pumping up the volts might stabalise things out a bit, but didn't want to fry the board.

I might hack up an old 9800SE cooler I have sitting here doing nothing and slap that on the northbridge...its got a fan, so its better than the chunk of Blue Aluminium that comes as standard I guess.

Well, mine never gets more than just warm to the touch, even with extreme stability tests, but then again it's in the airflow from a 120MM Panaflo intake fan.

Sure, try something "home-made", I bet it'll work just fine!

Oh - you might want to make sure the base is flat - it's been my experience that the large nForce chips are anything BUT! I always lap the Zalman sinks.

(I usually wind up putting a more-than-usual amount of TIM on to make sure and fill the gap!)

Well, the last time I ran a very long StressPrime run (12+ hours), I had to go into the case and change something, so I touched the 'sink just for kicks - it was hot to the touch, but not "burn yer fingers" hot.

But - as I said, it's in the airflow from the big Panaflo intake that was runnin' full-bore at the time due to the ambient temp being high - probably 85F+.