Help a newbie - only asking this once, promise!

-DeaDLocK-

Right, yesterday I built myself a new system (specs in sig) after many years of living with an ancient Duron. So I figured, if I'm gonna do it, gotta go it properly right? Everything is installed and working fine. System is stable, and it's all running at stock speeds.

Thing is though, I want to OC it (and bought components that should be OCable, or so I thought), but I really don't know where to start. Things have definitely moved on a LOT since the days of straightforward FSB OCing! And the number of tweaking options in the BIOS is really mind-numbing (not sure if this "feature" is a good or bad thing yet).

I have done my research and have read up on the A64 architecture, so I *kind of* understand what this whole HTT thing is about, but I find myself totally failing to strike any kind of balancing act with the OCing. Anything I try (admittedly at this stage only increasing the bus speed by 20MHz - LOL) just causes it to hang at the "Verifying DMI Data Pool" stage.

So, can any kind souls out there with an identical or very similar setup to mine (has got to be pretty common) list the settings they use, so I can use that as a ballpark template and then start tweaking from there?

I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone could save me the minefield from getting it to a stable basic state of overclocking, so I can then do my reading properly and tweak out as much as I can from my specific system even further.

Thanks,

D

Now your fun begins. But first read, read, read and get an understanding of the basics and principles. Do not plug-in other people's settings and see if it boots. You will have to find what your machine likes. Throughly test after any changes and keep close track of what you are doing, write it down or take pictures. You will get there and it will take 2-4 weeks. Fortunately, there are lots of very knowledgeable and helpful people here to answer your questions.