Sign in to follow this  
sergueiXXX

Can't boot after changing frequency.

Here is my story:

I bought this Mb a week ago. When it arrived I built up the system and everytning worked fine. After several days I decided to try OC (What DFI MB is for?).

So I changed frequency from 200 to 250 MHz and as I remember left Memory in Auto mode (as I did on my ABIT NF7). When i pressed the start button nothing happened. The system did not boot at all. Only 4 led turns to 3 thats it.

I have tried everything I could (for example http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24). I have read many posts here about LEDs of death but nothing helps me.

I wanted to try a Hotflash. But on both MB I failed. First one have (ASUS A8V) has a non AWARD BIOS. SO I can not flash using it, and my beloved ABIT NF7 during a flash says that Flash is write protected(but there is no write protecting Jumper on it).

Do you have some suggestion for me. For example there is utility UNIFLASH it can flash any KNOWN flasheROMs. But it is so old that it did not recognize these flashes. Or may someone suggest how to hotflash it on my old ABIT NF7 and avoid WRITE protection.

Thanks.

PS All my hardware works, because I checked it on ASUS A8V.

I've got: DFI LanParty UltraD

Bios N4D623-3.bin.

2X512Mb TwinMos PC 3200.

AMD 64 3200+(Winchester)

ArcticCooling Freezer 64

ATI X800XL 256 Mb

IDE Fujitsu 40Gb

IDE WD 160Gb

IDE LG GSA 4081 DVD-RAM burner.

ATX 400W

WinXP/SP2

Try clearing the CMOS(don't forget to pull the battery). FIrst try the short clear. If that does not work try it for 10 minutes, then if for 8 hours if it still doesn't clear.

Once you get back into the BIOS. Go to the overclocking forum here and read the overclocking guide. This will help you get an idea of how to overclock your machine.

Thanks, I saw this post this morning, very interesting. I'll wait for response from DFI RMA (because there is another problem of unworking NFORCE chip cooler) and than we will see.

to xguy :

I tried this and no luck.

I even tried to shortcut pins 2/3 to make the system use boot block. No luck again. Looks like only reflashing could help.

What brand PSU do you have? 400w for an Ultra-D for most all brands (except for maybe a Fortron) is really pushing it for this board. Then trying to OC, personally I wouldn't have too much faith in it. I would certainly try the DFI with a different PSU. Also I'm by no means "well seasoned" when it comes to OCing, but going from 200 to 250 right from the get go seems a tad drastic to me.

Sorry, I just added my signature.

I managed to restore system by hotflashing it.

I did it using Abit NF7-s ver2(on other threads people says it is impossible) fromCD with Caldera DOS. I used AWDflash with following commands:

/py /sn /cc /cd /cp /LD /f /tiny /E and it worked.

Maybe it would be useful for someone.

Now there is another ussue - stability. I did not have this problem before OC attempt. Now system behaves weirdley. It started from appearin of blue screen that says that Windows decided to shut down PC because there where some problems. Or it hangs up when I was playing Comanch4(blue screen again without words). May-be it was just freezing up but i did not wait and restarted. After that I reflashed BIOS on this motherboard, just in case. Another time it hangs up while I was printing this post but Thanks God came back again afte maybe 10-30 seconds.

About power supply: it is I-CHIA. I know that it is not well known brand but it worked pretty well on my OC Abit NF7-s with AMD XP Mobile. I am going to replace it after I will raise some money from selling my old components.