Sign in to follow this  
ianocean

Can't pass 300 Mhz barrier

Hello

Got in trouble with my setup(in the sig) overclocking.Can't pass 300Mhz HTT at any conditions-using Geil One S TCCD PC4800 even with RAM dividers.The board just maxing at 300 and that's it.Tried another CPU-FX-55 Clawhammer and absolutely same results.Tested the memory on my friend's DFI NF4 SLI DR and A64 X2 4800+ with same settings and the memory hits stable 312Mhz 2.5-4-4-8 1T and 360Mhz HTT easy(with dividers ofcourse) but mine can't.All four power connectors is plugged and nothing is overheating

Thank you in advance

Try adding more LDT volts also..

But remember just cuz your friends board runs 3xxmhz doesnt mean yours will.. I mean even at 300mhz its running 100mhz over stock..

How are your temps ?.. cpu.. pwmic..chipset.. ?

How are your temps ?.. cpu.. pwmic..chipset.. ?

CPU(load)42C,PWMIC 43C,chipset 48C.Interesting-SuperPi is closing after few seconds with error(not stops,just closing by itself) but memtest is OK at this freq- 295Mhz

try it with all memory settings (accept divider) to auto then if it doesnt work try 8X instead of 9X plus use the bios your friend is using.

i have been testing my setup since buying it a week ago... on the default bios i had 310, i could run 310 htt on the orange slots, and no more than 240 on the yellow slots (memory), i then upgraded to 623?? (cant remember the exact code.. latest offical) and could run 300 on the yellows, 340 on the oranges, in a quest to get my memory stable i then went back to hellfires 510 bios last night, and am now running 300 in the yellow slots but am able to run those up to 340 as well... just a point of interest, might send you in a direction :)

:edit: i also had to bump my cpu corevoltage slightly in order to stabilze my memory with this new bios

Hello

Got in trouble with my setup(in the sig) overclocking.Can't pass 300Mhz HTT at any conditions-using Geil One S TCCD PC4800 even with RAM dividers.The board just maxing at 300 and that's it.Tried another CPU-FX-55 ClawHammer and absolutely same results.Tested the memory on my friend's DFI NF4 SLI DR and A64 X2 4800+ with same settings and the memory hits stable 312Mhz 2.5-4-4-8 1T and 360Mhz HTT easy(with dividers of course) but mine can't.All four power connectors is plugged and nothing is overheating

Thank you in advance

Just prior to upgrading to the FX-57, I was debating between what I now have and what you've got. I called AMD and asked them a TON of questions about the A64 X2 4800+ versus the FX-57 when using cutting-edge, high-bandwidth memory, like the stuff you're sporting. I was told, by AMD, that the memory controller in the A64 X2 4800+ is locked whereas the memory controller in the FX processors is unlocked. I totally would have picked the A64 X2 4800+ over the FX-57, hands down, except for this major memory issue with the X2's.

Because the X2's have two seperate cores, the 6.4GB/s of memory bandwidth is shared between them, making the X2's memory controler less effective than on the single core FX. Read the reviews at these three sites, BeHardware, AnandTech and SharkyExtreme, to get a better picture of what I'm driving at here. The BeHardware site does a superb, comparative analysis and review of the FX-55 ClawHammer 130nm, vs the FX-55 San Diego 90nm, vs the FX-57 San Diego 90nm, vs your X2 4800+ Toledo 90nm! They juxtaposed all those different, bleeding-edge CPU's, with beautiful color charts and "PLAIN" English descriptions. It is, by far, the best review I have seen to date on these processors!

EVERYONE HERE, AT DFI-STREET, SHOULD READ THIS REVIEW AT BeHardware!

Either way, they're both phenomenal processors, but as for your X2, I believe you have hit the brick-wall that kept me from buying it in the first place! Until the dual core CPU's have dual memory controllers, the single core processors will dominate in the area of memory bandwidth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:cool:

DRACULA

• MoBo
= DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR

• CPU
= FX-57 (90nm
process, San Diego core
) [ADAFX57BNBOX]

• Memory
= 1GB of OCZ Technology (1T
Mode
), EL DDR PC-4800 Dual Channel Platinum Elite Edition (
hand-picked,
100%
TCCD
chips
), Qt.2 [OCZ6001024EEPE-K]

• Hard Drives
=
a)
74GB WD Raptor, Qt.4 [WD740GD]
B)
500GB Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 SATA II, Qt.4 [0A31619] *** Total SATA Storage:
Terabytes

• BIOS
= 702-2 with Change-Log Update

• OS
= Windows XP Pro SP2
and
Windows XP Pro x64-bit

• Video Card
(
single card,
non
-
SLI Mode
) = BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC™ PCIe 512MB GDDR3/TV-Out/Dual-DVI (
Retail Box
) [bFGR68512UOCX]

• Video Driver
(
nVIDIA
) = ForceWare v77.77 (
non
-Beta
)

• Monitor
= ViewSonic VP191
b
(
new
8ms
revision
)

• Optical Drives
= ASUS DRW-1608p, Qt.2 [DRW1608P]

• Case
= Aspire X-Navigator, mid-Tower [ATXA8NW-BK]

• Cooling
(
air only
) =
a)
Thermalright XP-90C Heat-Sink
B)
92mm Vantec Tornado (119
CFM
RPM
's - 56.4
dBA
) CPU Fan [TD9238H]
c)
Arctic Silver 5 compound

• PSU
= Thermaltake,
Watts
, SLI-ready [W0049]

• Audio
= Creative Labs, GigaWorks S750 (
Watts
Channel
Speaker System – Retail
) [51MF7010AA000]

@ianocean

Your BIOS in sig states 510-3 have you tried 623-3 and 632-2 / 704-2BT? These seem to give better BW in both Yellow and Orange slots.. as Thunda has suggested bump the LDT & also Chipset voltages these have help me with a similar configuration.

I know this is a bit of work but have you tried the CPUs in the other MB to clearly eliminate their IMCs, esp if you are suspecting the MB?

What about trying other combinations to push the MB over 300 while keeping the CPU / Mem within some known bounds, esp the FX as this should have the better IMC over the winnie.

@ Dracula - It would appear that you did not read the original post nor add anything of value to help the OP....

.... but as for your X2, I believe you have hit the brick-wall that .......

Just reached 300Mhz Memtest error free but in Windows..... :confused: not benchable.Nevermind,tommorow i'm getting Venice good stepping-will try again

BTW i've changed to 623-3 bios

Yes ... I have the same issue ... look for PAW or PMW these seem to have the best voltages / OC .. but of course it is all luck too ;)