Help! Cpu On Fire!

v3x

Hello, I have an Athlon XP 2500+ (barton) and my bios as well as asus probe are telling me that my chip is running at a steady 70-75 degrees celcius, and when I play counter-strike or do any gaming it goes up to 80-85 celcius, I'm kinda worried, maybe I don't need to be, but I built this system LAST NIGHT, it's all brand new, is my chip defective? what should I do... thanks in advance.

-v3x

those are very bad temps...my stock heatsink and fan kept my Barton 2500+ temps under 40c, although i did use arctic silver... but reset your heatsink with some good thermal paste then see what u get, or get a new heatsink fan..

Yeah I agree with DevilMB3017 about the Volcano not being very good, possibly try and reseat the HSF, it may not be making quite enough contact with the core. Also make sure the fan is running at the proper speed.

volcano 10's aren't rated for high end systems. they're for MP chips upto 2400+ speeds in servers that also have tremendous airflow right to the coolers. in bigger towers and desktop cases they do suck.

no even with a stock heatsink and fan those temps are too high... i would just get a replacement. either that or your not installing the heatsink right which im sure your not. it can run at those temps but i would replace it as soon as possible. gl and dont worry ...

also, make sure you didn't just slop on the thermal paste. There should only be a paper thin layer on the core. If you just slop it all over the chip, it doesn't spread evenly and there is a good connection made between the processor core and the base of the heatsink.