All AMD X2 owners should read this. Game performance issues.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 4400+ and have not experienced these issues. I did have an issue with pcmark05 untill I installed the AMD X2 drivers. I have only played CSS so far though. I will have to load FarCry and UT2004 and check it out.

Thanks to all for posting their results.

First post - dumb question!

Is there a specific cool n' quiet driver for X2 for WinXP or is it just the amd64 version you download? I've noticed an X2 linux cool n' quiet in the X2 utilities section of the amd site but no winxp version?

I noticed on the AMD forum they were talking about AMD releasing a new rev. X2 to fix the issues. Could these be the E6 revisions? I noticed the one guy that said that was running an E4.

I'm also on on an 4400 X2 Rev JH-E6 and BF2 is unplayable (Fry's Late Sept) - I can't even type chat without keys "echoing" or getting missed.

I'm currently playing with memory timings as it was not so bad wo/ a 2.4 overclock (stable).

This system is used for heavy DV, and a lot of other stressful work, and BF aside is fine, blazing even. I'll try the affinity once my latest Memtest finishes - that sounds like a real contender and would explain the laggy behaviour - I think...

CPU drivers not installed.

BF2 Thread

EDIT: Setting affinity did it for me, thanks!

Cian

First post - dumb question!

Is there a specific cool n' quiet driver for X2 for WinXP or is it just the amd64 version you download? I've noticed an X2 linux cool n' quiet in the X2 utilities section of the amd site but no winxp version?

welcome :)

i used the windows driver from the amd website. as i remember there is only one.

if you do a search of these forums you'll find a few threads discussing how to use it with various software solutions.

i use RMclock on one of mine with the amd CnQ driver. works great ;)

My experiences..

in BattleField2 and Windows Media player, stuttering with XP SP2 and no AMD driver. CnQ disabled in bios. [still stuttering!] Setting affinity manually always fixed it.

I applied the Windows patch, (setting registry key to "1", this isn't clear in the instructions!). CnQ still disabled, still no AMD driver. No stuttering! Problem solved!

I admit I was getting annoyed at AMD.. but now I'm REALLY annoyed at Microsoft after it turns out to be their fault. I know people who cursed AMD and switched from an X2 to a 4000+ because of this problem.. Gee thanks, Mr. Gates!

I am working with windows resourse mananger to make the OS run entirely on one core (cpu0) an my games on the other core (cpu1).

I also point all IRQ request to cpu0 only.

so far 5/10% gain in performance in bf2.

but bf2 do extrange things, normaly I have 85/95FPS, and 10 minutes later same part of the map it goes down to 67.

I put a second monitor that runs taskmanager/Process explorer during muy bf2 nights to monitor windows tread sheduler and resource usage.

to soon for a full report, but the results look promising.

Guest shiznit
Worth pointing out that Linux and FreeBSD users experienced no such problems, even when playing Doom3 and other native Unix on SMP systems.

i love linux, but bf2 and hl2 dont work there, so no thanks for now. anyway, the hotfix solved all my stuttering issues.

hotfix? - excellent - even though i've never had trouble playing any of the following:

CS:Source (HL2 Mod)

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - www.ghostworks.co.uk :)

FarCry

Got my CPU clocked to 250x10 - 166divider - running sw33t 24/7 (primed for 58hours!)

Now you come to mention it - I never had trouble playing BF2 online - Went to a LAN lastweekend and funnily enough BF2 kept kicking me after 5mins of play - will try the hotfix when i next get chance (dont hold ur breath - probably another 6months away :( )

sorry, gots the JH-E6 revision according to CPU-Z - and I havnt installed ANY extra drivers for the AMDx2 or the CnQ stuff - as I heard they are no-go's for when overclocking - no need for CnQ when watercooling really :)

Going to switch to WinXP64 next week and will give them all a try on that - am sure winx64 will flag up any problems with both cores and all them games....

Thank God for people that research and find all this great information. I found everything today in these fine forums that solved all my problems. I installed the AMD x2 drivers, Microsoft hotfix, and edited the registry and all of my stuttering, speeds ups and lock ups in ALL GAMES went away completely. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOU RESEARCH AND HELP. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Oh and I have an SH9 E6 rev. I was one of the absolute first people to get this processor from Monarch computers, pre-ordered as early as possbile and it came as an E6. I pre-ordered it on 6/1/05 and received it on 6/23/05.

All owners of AMD x2 processor should definitely install the Microsoft "hotfix" for the dual core gaming/slowdown problem. I was having severe slow down/other weird problems with certain single threaded games. Since applying the hotfix, all the problems have gone away. I also installed the AMD x2 driver. This "hotfix" will most likely end up in SP3. With the "hotfix", I never have to fiddle with affinity. I can even overclock with cool and quiet enabled without any problems!! Just do it but make sure you back up the registry since a bad edit can really mess up your system. All I can say is MS :eek: :eek: !!