All AMD X2 owners should read this. Game performance issues.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E4 and E6 are the different CPU revisions- the earliest ones were E4's, couple months (?) later they started releasing E6's. You can check CPU-Z under revision to check which one you have. Right now we don't know the difference (at least I don't) except possibly the issues that you see in this thread being fixed

All i could find on the difference between them is this thread at AMD:

http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t53304.html

Perhaps more searching in their fourms may yield more data.

Also it should be noted that it may be differentiated by different types of core, Toledo, San Diego, and Manchester X2s. I have a manchester E6 core and have seen no game slowdown or game performance issues (except for some very wierd issuses with my video card)

Looking at this thread HERE, specifically the 3rd post from Greyhound. It sounds like all Toledo core chips are E6 rev. I have an E6 myself, though all I've played is D3 and HL2 so I don't know what that would say.

Also what is the cpu driver really doing then? As far as I knew it was a driver to allow the OS to make changes to cpu speed and voltage, only having an effect on the cpu when C&Q was enabled.

Edit: It would be interesting to see how many with these problems have the "Errata 123" disabled in BIOS. From the description of it, though I'm not a programmer, sounds like what some are describing.

Couldn't tell ya what the it was, E4-E6, it was a 4800+, but I kept getting a "negative Delta Time Error". After trying to set the affinity and the drivers and everything next to kicking out the window, I rma's for an FX57. It is primarily a gaming rig anyway.

I tried the Affinity solution on Psychonaughts this evening. Played rock solid for 2 hours straight with no slow down whatsoever. I am having a slight issue with WoW in that there is no way to bind it to one CPU, can't use the affinity feature on the exe, and when I tried other apps that let you bind affinity, no affect either. Basically the game runs at 60 fps, but if you look carefully, you will see it's skipping a couple of frames when moving, nothing I can't handle, but I noticed it immediatly when I switched from the single core, to dual core AMD.

found this on the WoW forums.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...rt&T=370575&P=2

Going to try some more games and keep you posted.

I have the E6 revision btw.

http://www.angrygames.com/ocdb/angry/2x1gb...water_2gb-1.jpg

strange that cpu-z doesn't show the revision of my X2 4400+....but I would assume mine is an original since we got them right after AMD started producing them (benefit of working for a motherboard mfg lol)

I'll hook that rig back up and try to sit down on it and game a bit, but I never had any problem with Doom3 and BF2 in the few short times I have had some time to sit on it and play

My suggestion try games such as UT2004 or anything based on the Unreal Engine if you really want to notice the problem quickly. Seems the Unreal Engine really hates dual core processors and starts acting strangely in as little as 15 mins. If you have GTA: San Andreas, you can try that as well and you will notice the Game skipping past cutscenes as if someone is hitting ESC, etc and when you are running inside the houses for save games, you run at superspeed as if it's a speed hack.

Edit: From what I understand one application that really craps out with the X2 and quickly is the original EQ. I haven't logged into that game in a couple of years, but if someone else is still playing it, post your results please.

I installed the AMD cpu driver and noticed an improvement in the performance of MxO.

Not that anyone else says they play it.

I also assigned it to the second core instead of the default one. Noticed a slight improvement doing it like that.

Still I wonder if I would have better off getting a FX series.

I also wonder if I just should have waited altogether.

It happens to me with Far Cry quite often. The game seems to speed up immensely (you press a key and suddenly you're running all over the place), or there's audio stuttering. Alt-tab and setting cpu affinity on the game's process seems to solve the problem. I don't have x2 drivers installed (c&q is on "auto" in bios but it should make no difference since there are no drivers installed in windows) and the machine isn't overclocked.

I'm not so sure I'd blame this on X2, but rather on incompatibility of OS, drivers and multi-cpu systems. Did anyone hear if users of regular dual cpu machines (e.g. dual opteron) or better yet users of dual-core P4's have these same issues?

It happens to me with Far Cry quite often. The game seems to speed up immensely (you press a key and suddenly you're running all over the place), or there's audio stuttering. Alt-tab and setting cpu affinity on the game's process seems to solve the problem. I don't have x2 drivers installed (c&q is on "auto" in bios but it should make no difference since there are no drivers installed in windows) and the machine isn't overclocked.

I'm not so sure I'd blame this on X2, but rather on incompatibility of OS, drivers and multi-cpu systems. Did anyone hear if users of regular dual cpu machines (e.g. dual opteron) or better yet users of dual-core P4's have these same issues?

For a while there was a smaller scale version of this exact same problem with the Hyper Threading Intel processors. On the AMD forums, someone linked to the microsoft page detailing what caused the problem and the solution. I figure as soon as X2s start becoming more than a <1% portion of the market, microsoft will fix the problem. Or they're being paid by Intel to cause it :tinfoilhat:.

Regardless of the game bull crap, I'll still be buying my 3800+ in 2 weeks.