All AMD X2 owners should read this. Game performance issues.

Sorry for bringing up a fairly old thread, but I am planning on buying the DFI LANPARTY NF4 SLI-DR NFORCE 4 motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ CPU.

Is there any point getting that motherboard now? Or should I just buy the MSI K8N SLI Platinum?

Thanks a lot in advance!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I experienced these stuttering problems as well as issues with scrolling webpages in Firefox before I installed the AMD Processor Driver. After that everything was fine. I'm running an X2 3800+ JH-E6.

Sorry for bringing up a fairly old thread, but I am planning on buying the DFI LANPARTY NF4 SLI-DR NFORCE 4 motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ CPU.

Is there any point getting that motherboard now? Or should I just buy the MSI K8N SLI Platinum?

Thanks a lot in advance!

The stutter issue affects random set-ups, whether based on the DFI or the MSI flavors of the nF4 chipset.

As long as you get the E6 series of X2, more often than not, you should be safe.

I have a E4 revision 3800+ and even with the AMD patch and manually setting affinity, gaming performance is still terrible on my box. Crashes all the time after only 5 minutes of gaming. But if I put in my old 2800+ 64 - everything works beautifully.

• 2 weeks later...
The stutter issue affects random set-ups, whether based on the DFI or the MSI flavors of the nF4 chipset.

As long as you get the E6 series of X2, more often than not, you should be safe.

so you're saying, more often than not, if your chip is an E6, you dont need any amd/windows patches at all?

i thought these stuttering problems was a windows bug, hence the hotfix, not an actual cpu fault?

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone new member first post. I just put together a new X2 Opteron system and was expereincing game lag as well. I used the affinity setting but I did not see any remarkable changes. One thing I did do to make a drastic change in game play in FEAR was to put a check mark next to the EAX sound setting.The game plays flawlessly now.

I've been having problems with Dungeon Siege 2 crashing ever since I got my x2 3800+. (It did crash with the "exception detected" error message before that, but I gather that is more normal.)

When my game crashes, it doesn't BSOD or sputter or anything. It freezes to a dead halt and begins blasting static out of my speakers. It's pretty hard to miss. I do get a few BSODs now and then, but I haven't gotten one yet when running DS2.

I tried enabling Errata 123 enhancement (after reading the link posted on the first page) and also tried the CPU affinity fix, and neither of them worked.

I don't have any idea whether this affects any other games yet, as I am having enough problems getting DS2 to run that I haven't tried anything else. I can run all of my other programs stable (for the most part), including benchmarks.