Sign in to follow this  
Voodoo128

All AMD X2 owners should read this. Game performance issues.

Oh yeah the driver must have done the trick huh. It must have converted your games code to use multi-threading and your "dual core" to a real dual core system. Right ;)

Methinks you may not fully understand what you're talking about here.

First, I'm a software developer and have a good feel for the issues involved.

Second, it's undeniable that the AMD driver fixes the problem. Before installing the AMD X2 Processor driver on my X2 3800+ (overclocked to 2800 MHz, woot) I tried three games and all three had problems. Symptoms:

Earth 2160: Every 2-3 seconds there was about 0.5 second in which no frames were drawn. Looks system had the hiccups!

Doom3: Same exact issue as with Earth 2160.

FarCry: When I would move forward say down a 100 foot tunnel it would skip as I moved. The frames were drawn the whole time but one moment I'd be fluidly moving from the 100' to the 90' point and then all of the sudden I was at the 80' point moving fluidly to the 70' point. Stop moving and everything looked fine.

After installing the X2 driver from AMD, *all these issues were fixed*. It's not voodoo and I didn't do anything else except install the driver and try again.

Now, that said, the driver's implementation is probably kludgy in the sense that I believe it allows most apps to run with default dual-core affinity and somehow senses games that are known to have problems and sets their affinity to one core or the other. How a CPU driver could know that a game is playing, I'm not sure. But there's no questioning my observation.

Personally I think the driver is just allowing a sharper means for the 2 cores to share info between themselves.It is no magic trick.

The importance to this is that every app run in a dual will have threads processed on both cores.Meaning if you have 100 threads to run an app the system will try to process an equil amount of threads per core.And in order to do this the cores,cache and memory all must allow sharing of information. I think it is in this sharing the driver applies a fix . .

Comming from 2 cpu rigs to this x2 and with my back ground in 2 cpu I am almost positive this is what the driver is used for :)

So you actually believe that the X2 4400 is equal to 2 fx-55's? Don't believe the hype. Also, games are not sales applications designed to sell CPUs like 3dmark (well maybe they are in an indirect way). Do you honestly believe that AMD would put out a chip that is actually twice as fast according to the sales benchmarks and still keep the FX-55 on the market? The reason they are selling you the X2 is to get a foot in the door against intel, makes some money so that they can make a real multi-core architecture.

Also I don't advocate buying an FX-55, I am talking a 3700 or 4000. But we all have to justify our decisions so that we don't look like fools. So believe the hype if you must all you are doing is making my stock grow :nod:

Oh yeah the driver must have done the trick huh. It must have converted your games code to use multi-threading and your "dual core" to a real dual core system. Right ;)

oi. you realize intel was the one who rushed their dualies out to compete with amd, no? i mean their engineers have admitted to that.

at any rate, i sold my 3700+ sandy @ 2750 to get this x2 3800. what have i given up? NOTHING!! i think i lost ~150 3dmarks. i don't think FPS took any hit at all although i haven't benched them. who cares? i still play all my old settings as if nothing has changed. oh i did lose about :02 in in pi 1m's, another crushing blow :rolleyes:

regardless of whether the current games are coded for dual core, its not like its hindering them. and games which will utilize the second core are closer than you think.

imo, anyone buying a single core, mid-high end chip now is either financially constrained, a benchmark whore or ignorant.

So you actually believe that the X2 4400 is equal to 2 fx-55's? Don't believe the hype. Also, games are not sales applications designed to sell CPUs like 3dmark (well maybe they are in an indirect way). Do you honestly believe that AMD would put out a chip that is actually twice as fast according to the sales benchmarks and still keep the FX-55 on the market? The reason they are selling you the X2 is to get a foot in the door against intel, makes some money so that they can make a real multi-core architecture.

Also I don't advocate buying an FX-55, I am talking a 3700 or 4000. But we all have to justify our decisions so that we don't look like fools. So believe the hype if you must all you are doing is making my stock grow :nod:

Yes I actually believe X2 4400 is better than a single FX-55's. Look at the architecture for one, the X2 shares a memory controller between the two cores.

Of course I am not getting gaming performance of twice the FX-55's, until the games are multi threaded. With single threaded games I get better performance than an FX-55 still. The fact remains the X2 has lower power consumption and all the features of the best FX core available to date. If frames per second are proportional to CPU speed, and they are, the X2 at 2.6GHz or above beats a stock FX-55 all around. What makes you think differently?

EDIT: And for video encoding, yes I have DUAL FX-55.

Here is the email I received from AMD as to what should be done to resolve or at least try to resolve the issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMD Support to me

More options 1:31 pm (1½ hours ago)

Dear **************,

Please do not reply to this message. It is for informational purposes only.

To set a program's affinity to a particular core:

1) Run the game you wish to play; then minimize the window

2) Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to access Windows Task Manager

3) Under the 'Applications' tab, Right Click the game's icon and select 'Go To

Process'

Doing so will take you to the 'Processes' tab.

4) You will notice that the game's process has been highlighted for you. Right

Click the process and select 'Set Affinity'

5) Assign the game's affinity to CPU0 as this is the default CPU core.

Doing so will allow windows to prioritize the game to a single core instead of

trying to distribute the load across both cores.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to

contact the Technical Support Center 408.749.3060

The contents of this message are provided for informational purposes only.

AMD makes no representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy of

the contents of the information provided, and reserves the right to change

such information at any time, with or without notice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This solved my problem with NHL 2005 and NHL 2006. I am happy now! :)

I have E6 revision processor. Specs below.

Occasionally get the stuttering, the core load balancing I think needs work. I would guess the affinity option would be a solution.

Interesting my 10 day old X600Xt that has texture issues when testing with directx diagnostics the direct3d test was super fast and distorted. I will see what the 7800 does next week, as I cannot discount the mobo is not at fault.

Guest ElAguila

I wonder if the issue is related to the geforce card or the cpu revision. I have an x800xl with no problems gaming. My cpu revision is a BH9-E4. Those of you that are having issues are you using rev E6 or E4 or both?

Guest shiznit

Apparently people with E4 and E6 revions have had stuttering issues and resorted to the cpu affinity fix. hopefully the new M$ hotfix will solve the issue, i would greatly appreciate if someone would email it to me, pm me and i'll give you my email address. I have a 3800X2 bh-e4 revision according to cpuz, and i have to set cpu affinity to only one core in almost every game to prevent stuttering, and after a couple of hours of the pc being on, in firefox as well, otherwise scrolling stutters. with firefox.exe affinity set to only one core its butter smooth. someone on anandtech said that the MS hotfix solved this isssue and he doesnt have to mess with the affinity anymore, i would install it rigth now and tell test with Conterstrike Source, but i dont wanna call MS. i just installed the amd dual core driver, as some people said that worked, but if someone wants to send me the hotfix, ill install it imediately and leave all the feedback you want.