LP 875P-T with P4 640+

I just ordered the parts for this machine last week. I recently put it together and I have run into problems. Whenever it boots it just will check the ram then reboot. This keeps happening. I talked to DFI and they are going to send me a new Flash chip or something? Which I have no idea how to install in the first place. Has anyone had this experience and do you think this will work? Please let me know of any advice beccause I am not really a hardware guy.

Thanks

More than likely, you have a board with a older BIOS that does not fully support the CPU you are using. The BIOS, btw, is the small square chip on the motherboard that stores information about the hardware you have in your computer and how all of it communicates with each other (simplified explanation).

The chip they are sending you is an updated version that contains the 'software' which will allow your motherboard to recognize the 640 CPU you have.

If you need help installing it, post back here and I will help you out.

Ok - thanks...I was looking around and I think I found that chip (where it should go). Is it as simple as just getting that one out and popping in the new one?

Also, When it goes through the process of checking the ram - at the bottom it has something written along w/ a date of january something 2005. On the website it says you need at least the 3/25/05 bios. So i am guessing this is why it is not working. Would this cause this problem though? because whenever it checks the ram, right above it it has the type of cpu. I just want this to work and it is so frustrating. thanks

Yes, that is correct. That early BIOS date is keeping the CPU and motherboard from communicating to each other correctly. Once you get that chip, and there is no other issue with any other component, then you should be up and running in no time.

Speaking of which, could you please fill in your sig a bit more? Include things like manufacturer/model of power supply, make/model of video card, exact model of RAM and so on. That information makes it easier to eiter identify possible issues you may experience or help you configure your hardware for optimum peformance. :)

I am not sure, but I do believe they will send a chip puller with the replacement BIOS.

If not, then your best bet is to use a paperclip and gently pry the chip out from the corners. Go slow and do not jam the clip into the socket as there is circuitry underneath it.