BallistiX Tracer problems. What to expect?

Just got my new memory chip and i am experiencing some problems getting the system stable and avoiding bsod's. Just to note, I was able and am still able to enter windows with my old winbond memory without any problems whatsoever. From what I have gathered of these forums is I've noticed that this board have problems with Crucial memory.

On default settings there's no chance i'm getting in. Bsod all the time. My latest experiement was 3-4-4-8 with bank interleave disabled (everything else was default). It actually managed to me into windows for about 10-15 mins, where i got another bsod. As I was there i tested my memory in sisoft and i was disapointed. Still, as the system is nowhere near stable and tweaked i don't feel like this is all it got. Anyone got some experience with what to expect, and perhaps some help on bios settings that run the system stable?

At the moment I can not flash the bios as my floppy is acting up, and I was hoping (or rather expecting) it would help with a new version.

Don't even know of a way to explain myself out of that one. Haven't even checked what is default nor have i tried changing it yet, since i figured the board was running the memory at 2.8V. I will check it in awhile. A little update though. I managed to get it stable after changing the Asynch Latency to 7 nano's and Read Preamble to 5 nano's, while still leaving bank interleave disabled. I'm considering these as temporary settings for now though.

Update:

So I had to check and it was set to 2.6V. Don't know why I would miss such a thing knowing the memory were to have 2.8V. Set it to 2.8 (thanks for the heads up) and it booted without problems or need of any other tweaks. This looks promising for my session of clocking tomorrow. I'll be posting any findings here.

The problems with memory stability - not only Crucial - were greatly reduced with the 3/10 and subsequent BIOSes.

Don't use your floppy for updating BIOS, especially if it's acting up; that would increase the risk of a bad flash.

Instead you should download one of the bootable CD Images from http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...045&postcount=3

Hope this helps.

The problems with memory stability - not only Crucial - were greatly reduced with the 3/10 and subsequent BIOSes.

Don't use your floppy for updating BIOS, especially if it's acting up; that would increase the risk of a bad flash.

Instead you should download one of the bootable CD Images from http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...045&postcount=3

Hope this helps.

you are incorrect on two counts

1. bioses of 3/10 or later improved stability. To say they reduced stability is foolish and unwarranted.

2. if your machine is unstable then it doesn't matter if you use a cd-rom, winflash, or floppy to flash your machine. Unstable is unstable.

I most certinatly said that stability was increased.

And I warned him not to use his floppy drive to flash his BIOS, especially as it was in fact his floppy drive that was acting up.

So it seems I was correct on both counts and my comments therefore neither foolish nor unwarranted.

your call sir...

Yea. I got it working at 3-4-4-8 2.8v. Just my fault for having set the DIMM voltage to low, even though i managed to get them stable after some tweaking at 2.6v

Today I've spent some time testing my cpu and memory. Found something interesting, and something i wasn't exactly hoping for. The good news is that i got the memory running at 272 at 2.9 and I didn't try to go further - to make a long story short, the ram really did it's part.

The Venice didn't perform to my hopes though. At the moment I have it running at 237 x 11 1.65v which turned out to be it's limit at these voltages. Still haven't tried higher, but an increase in voltage from 1.55v to 1.65 didn't yield much of an improvement as to higher HTT so I'm not expecting much on that part. I'll look into some more bios tweaks, perhaps a change of bios, running 623-2 atm. I might consider 1.7v+, atleast just to give it a try - cooling shouldn't be much of a problem.

I ended up with setting the memory to 2.5-2-2-7 @ 237 2.8v

Edit: A little sidenote. The venice boots perfectly fine at higher settings, but report errors in calculation in both prime95 and OCCT in the early stages of testing. Will ofcourse get more out of the memory when i'm done testing the cpu.

Strange... I just got my sticks of Ballistix 2GB today, immediately set to 250 everything on auto and 2.6v, memtested for 40 mins fine but I didn't try to boot windows. Now I'm at like 180 though because I'm testing my CPU.

I had a heck of a time with this stuff too. First I tried factory recommended settings of 3-4-4-8 @ 2.8v and it wasn't stable. Then I noticed that lots of people were having better luck with 3-3-3-8 timings, this got it mostly stable at 2.8v, but overclocking was not going well at all. After playing with the voltage a lot, I found that my pair likes 2.6v (as measured by on-board sensors, maybe they're a little off), and as you can see in my sig, they overclock well enough, especially for a 2GB pair.