4x1024 OCZ help needed please.

Let me start by saying I really enjoy my DFI nf4 LANPARTY SLI-DR. I have run it since May with a matched pair of XMS3200-1024 sticks with no problem in the orange slots with the 5-10 bios. A good friend, that built his machine at the same time using the same board and memory, recently fried a stick of Ram. Not sure how but that is not important.. it is being RMA'd this week by Corsair and in the meantime we both purchased the OCZ 2048 PC3200 Platinum kits with the rebate from Newegg. I could not get this kit to work with the Corsiar I had so I swapped my XMS with his OCZ so that we would both have matched sticks of 4x1024 memorey once his comes back from being replaced. So here starts my problem.

I can not find a way to boot with all 4 sticks of OCZ in place. I have tried most all of the 30 or some odd bios versions out there including the modded ones and the different -1, -2, -3 versions and 90% will not allow the yellow slots to work. The ones that I did get to at least post will not work once I put ram in the Orange slots. I know that Mr. WU's english leaves a few holes in the change logs but I really would like some definitive direction as to which bios would work the best. Rather then ramble allow me to ask specific quesitons that would help me figure this out.

1. Is there a list of bios versions that work with 4 sticks of ram for sure?

2. Which Bios version would be best suited for 4 chips of OCZ4002048ELDCPE-k Infineon chips?

3. Could this boot issue be a limitation of the 4000+ Clawhammer? (Yes I have tried 166mhz, 2t, way relaxed settings etc.) Just looking to get this running anyway right now.

4. Considering my PSU is enough to power this and a small island somewhere, is it necessary to drive up voltages on the chip and or ram to make this even boot?

5. Any ideas at all are welcome.. I am not overclocking anything right now I just want it to boot into Windows.

I have done my homework.. on this and OCZ support forum, I know about mapping the memory above 4gig, I have built computers at home for nearly 20 years.. I have tried all I can come up with and am at my limit of time expenditure to make this run. I am not above missing something obvious, nor am I foolish enough to think I have tried everything but I am out of ideas. If possible PLEASE answer my questions above with some certainty and I will be able to work from there at least, I hope so!

Thanks for your time and any input. If more info needed then whats in the SIG let me know I can post results to just about any combo of bios and settings now.

Oh yeah.. I ran these in a MSI nf3 board with a 3000+ chip and they came right up and ran fine. Sad.. I really like this boards performance since May but I really would like to get these 4 sticks working.

Falaris

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't already tried this:

1. Have a look in the overclocking database section at Angry Games' 4 GB post and mimic his timing settings, aside from the overclocked bus speed settings. Try 2.7 or 2.8 volts for your RAM and a little higher than stock for the CPU too.

It may be that the memory controller on your Clawhammer just doesn't like 4 GB RAM and won't run no matter what you do. Only way to be sure would be to try another processor of the Venice or San Diego variety or better. That is one awesome PSU you've got there by the way :drool:

You might also try the 704BT BIOS.

Thanks for the replies guys.. I hate hearing it just won't run with that chip answer. Not that it is BS.. just that I hate hearing it :rolleyes:

I will look for the OC Database for some 4g settings.. I looked over it already and only saw the 2g (2x1024, 4x512) settings.. nothing for a 4g 4x1024 one. I might have missed it. I have tried the 704BT bios.. can't get the sticks to work in the yellow slots at all.

Thanks Fight Game.. been there done that, over and over..

I did see a 4x1024 in the database but of course it was with the new OCZ4000 ram and the SanDiego core 4000+.. Will still try the settings he had for the memory even though I believe my chips are different.

Beginning to think I am stuck till I get another overpriced chip, sucks only having this one for a few months and having to lay out that much cash again.

with a clawhammer/winchester/newcastle core, you will only be able to do DDR333 @ 2T with 4x1024

that is...if you can get those older cores to even run 4x1024

I had a hell of a time getting a Winchester 3200+ to run 2x1024, and it would NOT run 2x1024 of your exact sticks on a divider of any kind...so I don't think a Clawhammer is going to be capable of running 4x1024 since it will have to drop to DDR333 divider (just like 4x512 does on those older cores)

3700+ San Diego is a good price right now at newegg and other places, and is capable of reaching 2800-ish Mhz

Thanks AG.. I am currently running it with the 166 divider.. with a FSB of 252 and settings of 2-3-3-6 1T with just two sticks. But no matter what I do I can not get the yellow slots to post with the 704-2BT bios. Alone or with the other two orange chips filled.

Sad..

I mentioned in another thread.. but let me bring it back to the one I started.

Could my board be an early rev that has faulty Yellow slots?

All of these are Rev A boards or so I read somewhere else.. but I have seen that some have Rev A01 or something else. I bought this March 23'rd 2005. Not sure if it was one of the first run boards or not but could there be a difference between the Rev A and Rev A01 versions that effect the yellow slots?

I tried the setting that OCZRyder gave me on the OCZ support forums and still can not get 4 sticks to do anything except slow single beep at me. Then I tried 4 sticks of Value Ram from my wifes machine and the same thing.. split that and two of the Value sticks work in the orange slots but not in the yellow. I then switched bios levels again to no avail. The 4 sticks of OCZ do work fine in the MSI Nf3 board that she is using so the ram is good.

Is there a known issue with the Yellow Ram slots? If not since I can not get ANY ram to boot in the yellow slots no matter what bios version, can I get an RMA for this board and try another one hopefully newer Rev A or whatever? Do you advance RMA with a Credit Card or is my gaming system down for weeks while I trade this in and get it tested etc? Not familiar with the RMA procedures here.

I do not have an e6 core or have anyone else with one. I know I the next step I can pull my chip and put it into the wifes MSI Nf3 board and put her 3000+ Winnie into mine and test the ram in both machines again. But with the water cooling rig and the time needed to do this I would really like to reserve that as a last resort.

I do have to amend my last post and say that I have gotten 2x512meg sticks to work in the yellow slots so they are not dead but maybe limited. I did not load all the way into windows on the 512's but it did get to mem test and start testing. So what would limit the yellow slots to 512 double sided and not 1gig double sided? I have played with voltages on both the chip and ram and it has not seemed to make a difference.

I still would like to know what is the difference in the REV versions and could that be limiting my yellow slots. If I need to drop both machines ro swap ram and chips the wife is going to kill me! :cool: