Good System Specs not so good performance..

Hey - download this:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/freshdiagnose.html

Post your benchmark results.. this should also give you information regarding IRQ's etc..

I'll post my results as a comparison

A64 3500 / 2gig (corsair400)

May help us naildown a bottleneck..

Also - turn of CPU thermal throttle if you have it on, if your bios lets you. Took me a while to get my system stable too, you'll be happy once it's going :)

I still haven't found a way to reliably use active armor (it corrupts my downloads) . Also, my mouse (razer diamondback) would not turn on during startup. I found out the usb port power saving had to be turned off.

I also ran into some problems using 4x512 MB sticks so returned the two 512's i just bought and upgraded to 2x1024's dead reliable now - I guess I'll throw the 2 512's i have left in the old mb and do something with it. Been thinking of running a ut2004/halflife or bf2 server on it but i'm sure my cable modem will congest with any decent amount of users on board.. hmm.. Anyone know of cheap colocation options? :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not recommend playing games w/ Windows Firewall turned off. Simply go into your Control Panel - Security Center - Windows Firewall and click on the tab 'Exceptions' and make sure it has an 'X' next to the programs you want to allow.

Always Always Always keep your firewall on.

but of course :)

I'm always behind my routers FW but still use a lightweight sw firewall just in case.

On an interesting note - I hadn't seen anyone acknowledge my corrupted download issues via official channels but it appears it's being looked into.

http://fileismissing.blogspot.com/

BEGIN QUOTE

"If files are downloaded by a FTP server and the Nvidia Firewall of the nForce 4 chipset (Active Armor) is active, the files are transferred partly damaged to the local harddrive. As german c't magazine could prove on mainboards of different manufacturers, with both the Intel and the AMD version of the nForce 4 chipset, the driver for the firewall showed problems with FTP connections.

In tests, files of different size were corrupted starting from 10 KByte. As soon as the firewall, which comes with the current nForce drivers for Windows XP, is active, mutilated data lands on the harddrive sporadically. The file size remains unchanged thereby, a MD5 checksum however indicates the damage. Other protocols such as HTTP or the Windows networking (CIFS / SMB) do not seem to be concerned.

The problem arises only with chips that have the Active Armor Secure Networking engine, which is the naming convention Nvidia calls its support for firewall in hardware. Thus only the Ultra and SLI versions of the nForce 4 chipsets are concerned. Nvidia meanwhile recognized the problem and wants to implement a fix with its next driver release, which is to come within a month."

END QUOTE

I found that the firewall affected http downloads as well. I also couldn't get to certain websites (such as belkin.com).. Everything worked no problem once it was off. Frustrating as it worked fine on nf3 board so I kept testing my memory thinking a chip had gone bad.

if theres the icon in the bottom right (little shield) you can just right click it for now and choose off. You can also uninstall it from it's program group or through add remove programs I believe. You should also be able to enable/disable it by going to start/settings/network connections right click on your NIC port and there should be a tab or option in there to disable the firewall for this connection.

Looks like station drivers has a newer version of the network driver - i'll try it in a little bit and see if downloads are still corrupt. Hardware firewall is a good thing if it works :)

I'm not familiar with the program, but yes the CPU speed is showing 773MHz.

I'd like to see some other more familiar benchmarks as well.

Not an X2 user but there have been anumber of threads posted lately concerning erratic behavior in game play with x2's

Yes it is weird he's showing 773mghz I just downloaded and tested and it's showing my processor at full speed, my guess is he's using collNquiet without knowing it, why don't you check your power profile and make sure it's set to "home/office desk" and not minmal power mangment. just a thought