Sign in to follow this  
Sevaris

SLI Problem

I had some interesting experience with 3dmark05, when I OC my graphic crds the scre will drop drastically , then I tested with different OC increments, and found that 3dM05 likes certain spot and dislike others , like if I go up to 480MHZ on gpu it likes that and I get higher score, then I go to 485mhz and it drops like 1000 to 2000 points, strange behavior of 3dmark, so I stopped worrying about it.

try to downclock your cards to 450/1200 I know you the oc version, and see if 3dmark gives you around 10500, then this should be about right. And then you would know it's the 3dmark bug and not your system.

That may be your card not liking those settings, not 3dMark. When a 7800 gets unhappy it downclocks itself. If I remember correctly, it has 3 clock settings. One for low intensity apps(like Windows), a medium and a high setting. When the card gets hot or has issues it is supposed to throttle itself back.

Not saying that is what happens, but it may be.

That may be your card not liking those settings, not 3dMark. When a 7800 gets unhappy it downclocks itself. If I remember correctly, it has 3 clock settings. One for low intensity apps(like Windows), a medium and a high setting. When the card gets hot or has issues it is supposed to throttle itself back.

Not saying that is what happens, but it may be.

core slow down treshold is 115C and no sir I wasn't even near those temps, it is 3dmark and there was a post about on the nvforum as well, my cards would not exceed 75C when running 3dmark.

The reason I know it is 3dmark and not gpu cause aquamark is very happy with those settings and I went beyond 95K score.

I am 100% sure it is 3dmark.

Well, I have tested with Rivatuner, and the cards clock up to 530, but even running at those speeds, my 3dmark scores dont change a bit. I havent tried downclocking them yet though. This is some wierd problem, I appreciate all of the suggestions and I am trying out as soon as I get the chance to; plz keep them coming.

the problem is not the motherboard

the problem is your X2 cpu + SLI (they dont play well together)

the real problem is SLI in general. It is not worth the money that you spend, and it is full of problems because of Nvidia's shoddy drivers as well as their inability to get SLI to work correctly across the board with all games.

After having run SLI myself for over 6 months, you maybe have seen me tell users to avoid SLI because it is not worth the hassle, nor the money (then one joker shows me a single benchmark from Anandtech and cries foul at my hatred of SLI boo hoo).

You will have to contact Nvidia or AMD about X2 and SLI problems as they are not within the motherboard. They are purely driver issues (SLI) and cpu issues (X2)

I did a fresh install of windows xp pro, using only the newest drivers, and I still have this problem. I now think the problem must lie with either the mobo or the psu. The reason I am suspecting the PSU is b/c the drop in score like this is something ppl have experienced when one of their power cords wasnt plugged in properly.
PCP&P 510 SLI
That is the BEST PC PSU available & more than enough for your system.

Are all 4 power plugs in like this: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...734&postcount=3

Test like this @idle & @load: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=137886

Contact PC P&C if you have any PSU concerns, you PAID for their excellent customer service.

Good Luck,

Dave ;)

Well, I have tested with Rivatuner, and the cards clock up to 530, but even running at those speeds, my 3dmark scores dont change a bit. I havent tried downclocking them yet though. This is some wierd problem, I appreciate all of the suggestions and I am trying out as soon as I get the chance to; plz keep them coming.

do yourself a favor and listen to me, try to compare your single and SLI in a different benchmark, try aquamark3 and see if you see performance improvment from single to SLI.

the problem is not the motherboard

the problem is your X2 cpu + SLI (they dont play well together)

the real problem is SLI in general. It is not worth the money that you spend, and it is full of problems because of Nvidia's shoddy drivers as well as their inability to get SLI to work correctly across the board with all games.

After having run SLI myself for over 6 months, you maybe have seen me tell users to avoid SLI because it is not worth the hassle, nor the money (then one joker shows me a single benchmark from Anandtech and cries foul at my hatred of SLI boo hoo).

You will have to contact Nvidia or AMD about X2 and SLI problems as they are not within the motherboard. They are purely driver issues (SLI) and cpu issues (X2)

Well, I am glad to hear that, b/c that at least eliminates hardware being the issue; phew. Is there another bios I could try besides the 6/23 release? Maybe one of the beta bios would work better, and if so which one?

Sevaris,

I suggest that you try a few Forceware drivers (the new 78.11 got good feedback responds, 78.03 is also good, 78.01 is WHQL Certified)

It seems frustrated & disappointed but as hardware enthusiastic, I offer you some words of encouragement: "Don't give up" :) . It's true that X2 & 7800GTX SLI sometimes don't get along. As trying out this new frontier hardware together, just being patient (sometimes a lot of patient on RMA parts) & research. When you can get them work together, it's definitely rewarding.

I got the same type of issue between X2 & SLI, but I'm keep pounding to work them out:

http://service.futuremark.com/servlet/Inde...ojectId=1181271

Regards

I am encountering the same problem, and my system is a single core 3700+ San Diego.

I changed the bridge between cards and had benchmarks around 11400+, and decided to reboot the PC to see what happened. The scores dropped back in the 9000 range, and the only thing I did was reboot.

So I keep trying to find solutions. I probably will reassemble the PC and start with the basics to try and isolate if any components are causing a problem.

same problem here with a FX55 sandiago chip and dual 6800 GT's... but from what I found it was the Bios on the cards were different even though both were purchased the same day from BFG.. check the BIOS on each graphics card and make sure they match up.