High Network Usage results in BSOD

I noticed 2 nights ago, when i was moving about 10gbs of stuff from my server over to this system it kept giving me problems. No bsod that time, but it kept killing other programs etc meaning that my only option was reboot.

Didn't think much of it, except today i was running winamp on my laptop and adding music to the library (all music is stored on this system), so it was using the network pretty heavily, anyway, after about 6/7 minutes, i'd get bsod and reboot.

My temps are pretty reasonable in my book. I made a point of forcing it to bsod and kept an eye on the temps whilst I waited, and the northbridge was 45 degs when that happened. As I write this my northbridge is at 46 degs (no major network usage though) with no problems what so ever.

For your info I'm using the nForce network connection.

I'm really at a loss as to what could be causing this. Temps aren't an issue, Power shouldn't be (480w Tagan psu), so what the hell is it?

right, i've now decided that it's not network related, it's hdd related.

Only thing I can think is that I removed a hdd a few days ago. God knows how taking out a hdd can cause instability, but there ya go...

Anyone got any ideas? Lots of views, no posts :(

I use the marvell Ethernet on the mobo and not the nvidia. I read on this site that many people had issues with the nvidia Ethernet port/drivers so I decided not to go that route.

I have also read that some people needed to get the mac address of the nvidia port and hard code it int the BIOS. There is a spot for that. This appears to have help some people.

You should consider switching to the Marvell port and removing the nvidia ethernet drivers and disabling that port. Run your scenario over the marvell port. Just as a test.

Also if you have really isolated your issue to the drive then your should run chk disk or some other drive repair/diag on it to make sure.

Finally, not that this is related but it looks like you don't have the latest BIOS for your rig. Consider updating but only after you have done some of the other tests.

Let us know how things turn out.

Also, as tough as hard drives are they can still be damaged by being bumped or dropped ... etc.

well.. 5 minutes ago I was in the process of writing a reply along the lines of "fixed it, turned out that the hdd I'd left in was set as Slave"...

and then I got a bsod :D

mmm, gotta love it when things don't go according to plan. I've cranked up the northbridge voltage and the LDT. It's definitely not network related as I disabled my network last night for a while and got some reboots.

So, it's definitely hdd related. If no-one comes up with any more ideas I'm going to run chckdisc later.

Did anyone have an answer for how I check to see whether I installed the SW driver?

hmm, conveniently the drive I removed is an exact clone (well, copied anyway) of the drive that is in there.. i guess swapping them will tell me whether it's a hdd problem, or mobo problem...

goody, more crawling around under the desk... biab