Mosfet etc... heatsink madness...

IXnu

Yo, I'm putting together a system with an Ultra-D, and I'm going crazy on mods. Has anyone taken off the heatsinks that come on the board. I wonder if they could have better TIM on them. And what chips exactly are they on? Only on the FETS? I can't seem to find a PLL, anyone know where it is? I've seen mods where people would active cool these things! So I'm gonna sink probably every FET on here, the voltage controller, and a couple other random things. There's a chip labeled ITE it826a next to the voltage controller by the power input that seems to have something to do with overclocking, but I can't figure out what. This site has some good info on hotspots. http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/nf4therm...ndex.php?file=1 apparently the chip that monitors the temperatures is ironically the hottest part! Guess adding a heatsink on that couldn't hurt. An I'm thinking of gluing a fan onto the back of heatsink mount too. Any ideas on any of this? Thanks!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check it out. The arrows point to where I put new heatsinks. I'll probably put a some more on once I finish cutting them, but these are pretty much all it "needs" I put one on the bios chip too, not that I think it will likely benefit, but it makes a handy handle to remove it!

attachment.php?attachmentid=2334

Hey ho IXnu

That's pretty smart, any chance of more detail? What did you use to attach the heatsinks? Any problems during the installs? What setup with your fans will you use? Can't wait to see it finished! Or even better how about pics of the gradual build? Gottashow us, you've whet me appetite!

Yeah, I added a few more sinks, but installed it without scanning. I don't have a digital camera. I also removed the the stock heatsinks and applied AS5. I used Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive on all the other sinks. I also SLI modded the chipset. The heatspreader was removed off the CPU. Both the CPU and the Chipset are water cooled. I have 120 mm in and out fans, and the fan from the stock retail HSF blowing on the mosfets. The stock heatsink in the corner gets especially hot. It might benefit by having one of the larger ones on the board on it. I've been able to run the FSB at 301 MHz with memory at half speed. Didn't run prime yet with that high a OC. Seemed fine though. My video card has had some problems though, which I'll ask advice for in another forum. I believe dropped some sweat on it while I was bleeding the waterblock. Argh!

Also when you look at the fets, you see how it's attached with a small metal piece on the back, opposite from the pins. That's where most of the heat actually comes from. I try and have a blob of the epoxy go down to that.

Vantec makes some heatsinks for vga cards that have some thermal tape on them, I bought some and put a few on. Then one day I opened my case and saw 1 laying at the bottom of the case. Lucky for me it did not fall on something conductive. I have not tried them since. Perhaps I shoulda cleaned the chip with some solvent first, scared to try again though.

Yeah, I clean with isopropyl 91%. If the sinks are alluminum, it won't short. My system seems to be doing great at my sigs settings. 600 MHZ OC! prime and pi stable. I can get to windows with fsb over 310 too with dram tweaking, and even explore, but not perfect data calculation. I don't want any audio glitches in my pro tools files!

• 3 weeks later...
oh god, don't let THunDA see that :)

LMAO..

It was fun when I sinked my Infinity.. But it never really gained me jack.. So I dont think I'd waste my time doing all that again..

Although I'll never forget my Infinity that was 4 pounds heavier because of sinks..

:shake: :nod: :shake: