s754 nF3 random restarts?!

Hello. I have a s754 nF3 DFI MB and it has worked fine since I purchased it three months ago. I have not done any OC'ing (yet). Yesterday, in preparation to OC, I swapped the chipset heatsink to a Thermaltale Crystal Orb. Now, with standard settings that worked before, I get a POST and windows starts, but after that, after seemingly random times, the MB crashes and restarts. Nothing except the chipset fan has been changed - no settings, no OC'ing. Sometimes I can run Windows for 30 seconds (the longest time) before a crash; sometimes it crashes during booting. This cannot be a cooling problem because the shortest time to restart seems to occur after a long time off, not when the board is warm. I have reset the CMOS twice by disconnecting the power, changing the clear CMOS jumper, and removing the battery but this has helped nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to fix this problem?

Athlon 64 3400+ (NewCastle) with Zalman CNPS7700Cu

DFI LP NF3 250Gb motherboard with Thermaltake Crystal Orb chipset heatsink

1 stick 1024MB Patriot DDR-400 PC3200 (2-3-2-5)

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB) with Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 1 (revision 2.0)

Antec NeoPower 480W (revision 2.0)

2 x 250GB WD Caviar SATA HDD's (RAID 0)

NEC ND-3500A 16x DVD+/-RW

Toshiba 90ms 16x DVD-ROM

Creative VideoBlaster Digital VCR TV tuner (PCI)

Generic floppy

I don't know whats wrong but I know what I would do.

Reformat and Clean install usually solves my problems (not a repair) 99% of the time.

I have done it so many times it takes me like 30 minutes.

Maybe someone will come along and help if thats more than you want to do.

Good Luck

I used to have a similar problem when I had an Epox 8RDA+. I changed the chipset cooler for a crystal orb and had exactly the same problem.

Changed the cooler back the retail cooler and it was fine. Turns out the crystal orb was making really poor contact with the chipset.

I eventually replaced the cooler with a lapped Vantec Iceburg which was much better.