Specing out a new system

Jair

I'm looking to replace my current rig, and have chosen to go with a DFI board. I've selected the following components:

DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego core)

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC 3200

GigaByte GeForce 6600GT

Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu (with some Artic Silver 5) HSF

Thermaltake Tsunami Dream ATX case

OCZ OCZ520ADJ ATX 520W PSU

BenQ DW1640 DVD burner

Since I'm on a budget, I plan to just drop in a couple ATA drives I've got lying around until I can buy some SATA drives.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Or any helpful information from past experience with one of these items? I'm paticuraly wondering about how well the PSU will fit into the case, as I've heard that the Tsunami's hasn't much room to spare for it. Also, those sticks of RAM should work fine, right? They seem to come highly recommended, but memory appears to be the source of a lot of problems. Thanks for any help!

Ok, first go ahead and update your signature with your proposed build. ;) The PSU you have in your proposed build is not recommended. It has a native 20 pin ATX connector. Take a look at my signature for recommended nf4 PSU's Take a look at the "A" list for SLI. If you like OCZ brand PSU. Then I would suggest the 520w Powerstream.

Other then that your build looks good.

That is the Powerstream and it does have a native 24 pin connector im not quite sure what StephenC is talking about unless you edited your post. I bought the same exact one from newegg about a week ago, great PSU.

Since you're on a budget, get a 3000+ Venice, some less expensive RAM, a 7800GT and the Ultra-D model of the mobo (since you're not using SLI). You'll get much better performance than with the current setup and it should cost about the same.

That is the Powerstream and it does have a native 24 pin connector im not quite sure what StephenC is talking about unless you edited your post. I bought the same exact one from newegg about a week ago, great PSU.

Ok, I stand corrected. The shot of the 20 pin ATX without the 4pin add on threw me off. oops. Well I did suggest it though. :cool:

Personally, I'd change to the following:

-3000+ AMD64 Venice

-X800XL PCIE

-2x512 of OCZ Gold 3200 (2-2-2-5 @ 240+)

-XP-90 with a TT Silent Cat fan (these fans are amazing)

-Ultra-D DFI Mobo

The OCZ PSU looks to be nice. I would not do the 7800GTX or 7800GT unless you are getting higher end components and really going all out on this new PC.

-Magik

Cool, thought I was Ok on the PSU :)

So I guess that there is not going to be much difference between the 3700 San Diego and the 3000 Venice? I intend to use this system for other tasks such as 3D modeling (Maya) as well as gaming.

Those OCZ Gold's look good to me, so I'll go with them.

I was looking at the 7800GT cards, and the XFX Geforce 7800GT (PVT70GUDF7) looked good. I want somthing that will last me a good while. I prefer to stick with nVidia though. I've never had any problems with them and I know that they work well under Linux.

I originally selected the SLI version so I could add an extra card later on if I needed the boost (with the thought that they should be pretty cheap by then ;)), but would it be wiser to just go with the Ultra and buy a newer card later if I need to?

I couldn't find that XP-90. I chose the Zalman since it seemed to be efficient and quiet. If I ever decide to overclock this, I'll swap it out for somthing better, but for the moment I intend to run this at stock speeds.

For modeling and Maya, you can get the 6800GT and software mod it, using Riva Tuner, to a Nvidia Quadro FX or a 6800 ultra for that matter. The 7800's aren't configurable yet to Quadro FX. I have done this Quadro FX mod w/RT, and seen the proven results of opening the already present Open GL pipes. The card really functions as a $1600 Quadro FX. It's worth looking into if you are serious about rendering and 3Dmodeling.

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner&menu=8

EDIT:RT 15.6RC is reported to work on linux in the forums at Rivatuner, I don't know enough about Linux to say with certainty, if it does work well. RT works great with XP and x64 though.

i would say gj and that everything u chose is perfect ... that psu is so stable and perfect for the board i have it and it handles perfect solid rails and supplies nice voltage + that ram owns but a 3000 + would be great if u dont care about teh l2cache being 512kb but if u want the 1mb cahce then def get the 3700+

good luck

actually id also suggest the ultra-d non sli ..

and id try and get a 6800gt or x800xl..

does ocz gold hit higher mhz??? anyone cuz i hear it just lets u do 2-2-2- 5 at like ddr450 or somthn liek that since u can get fatty volts into it ...but the plat rev 2 can hit higher mhz like over ddr600 at 2.9 volts for shure

if u plan on overclokcin ur fsb alot and plan on runnin 1/01 id suggest the higher mhz ram aka ocz plkaty rev 2

The 3700+ has twice as much L2 cache and runs 400 Mhz faster than the 3000+ Venice, I would say that there is a signifigant difference performance wise. Though the price difference is $120.